From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.19-reiserfs i686; Nav)
Description of problem:
In edit mode, grub hangs (with the HDD led on) when playing a bit with the TAB
This can be related (but not sure) to the fact that the (hd,0) line, referencing
/dev/hda1, was a swap partition instead of a linux ext2/ext3 partition...
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Hampton neta2 cdrom GUI install, select grub
2. Boot grub, press (e)dit, select the initrd line, press (e)dit, change the
path, press TAB
3. Repeat several times
Actual Results: After 2 or more TABS, computer hangs hard, with the HDD led on.
Expected Results: Do the requested completion.
I can't reproduce this here, I get "Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"
when I edit the initrd line and try to change it to use my swap partition as the
root. Can you give exact descriptions for how you changed things?
I have no access to the incriminated box right now, but I recall that what I did
was (and sorry it doesn't have anything to do with swap partition but more with
1. the box had a previous RH 6.2 installation, with /=/dev/hda1, swap=/dev/hda5
2. i installed a Hampton beta, /=/dev/hda6, swap=/dev/hda5, selected grub as the
3. Hampton didn't prompted me in the bootloader configuration screen for 'other'
partitions to boot, so I edited /etc/grub.conf after install.
4. In /etc/grub.conf I added the lines:
title Red Hat Linux 6.2
root (hd0, 1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19-6.2.1 ro root=/dev/hda1
5. Note that there are several errors above:
(hd0, 1) points to /dev/hda1 which doesn't exist - correct is hd0, 0
an initrd file doesn't exist for this kernel
6. Reboot, choose RH 6.2 in grub, does not work.
7. Press edit on the entry, edit on the initrd line, then try to complete
several times, box hang.
8. The correct solution is to correct the root line, of course.
Hope it is more clear now...
Still can't reproduce... since this is an odd case of bad config file and the
like, going to wontfix for now