Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 611310
Flash broken on latest firefox and nspluginwrapper for x86_64
Last modified: 2010-11-03 06:34:02 EDT
Description of problem:
Flash no longer works for me. I have described the issue in another bug report, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=523273 , but since this is an independent issue, I am refiling.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
[user@localhost ~]$ rpm -q firefox nspluginwrapper flash-plugin
start firefox, go to a page with flash (e.g. Youtube), and see how there is ... no flash.
As explained in the https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=523273 , until last week, it all worked. But somehow, after the update of nspluginwrapper, it no longer works. Oh, and this is definitely a x(&_64 issue, as I tested it on another box with i686, and there it works like a charm.
When starting firefox from the command line, I get about a dozen times the following error message:
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so [/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
Looks like you've got the 32-bit Flash plugin from Adobe deployed on your 64-bit system. The error message says that you've got a 32-bit DLL in /usr/lib64, which is just wrong. How did it get there? How did you deploy it?
You should follow the instructions in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/Flash for wrapping the 32-bit plugin on 64-bit systems. I don't think anybody here is going to be able to support any methods besides that for getting Flash running on an x86_64 system.
Ah. Makes sense. I had noticed that despite having upgraded Flash a while ago, FF was still using an older version, which led me to delete .mozilla/plugins, which in turn led me to the bug (which was fixed a few days ago, referred to above) with nspluginwrapper, which until I figured out what was going on, led me to try to tweak flash, and at that point, I may have inadvertently done this stupidity. Eventually, nspluginwrapper was fixed, but the damage had been done.
I see this bug is still listed as NEW. Since it was solved six weeks ago, feel free to change status to CLOSED/SOLVED.