Bugzilla will be upgraded to version 5.0 on a still to be determined date in the near future. The original upgrade date has been delayed.
Bug 613371 - Samba daemon fails to start - "smbd: symbol lookup error: smbd: undefined symbol: tdb_check"
Samba daemon fails to start - "smbd: symbol lookup error: smbd: undefined sym...
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: libtdb (Show other bugs)
13
All Linux
low Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Simo Sorce
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-07-10 21:34 EDT by Marcus Haebler
Modified: 2011-06-15 16:36 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2011-06-15 16:36:06 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Marcus Haebler 2010-07-10 21:34:52 EDT
Description of problem:
After upgrade (via yum from F12 to F13 samba daemon fails to start with the following error:

  smbd: symbol lookup error: smbd: undefined symbol: tdb_check


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
samba-3.5.4-62.fc13.i686

How reproducible:
Unknown

Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:
smbd stops unexpectedly during startup.

Expected results:
smbd starts.

Additional info:

Running smbd in debug mode from the command line shows the following:

# smbd -D -F -S -d 3
Maximum core file size limits now 16777216(soft) -1(hard)
get_current_groups: user is in 7 groups: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10
smbd version 3.5.4-62.fc13 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2010
uid=0 gid=0 euid=0 egid=0
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[share1]"
Processing section "[share2]"
Processing section "[test1]"
adding IPC service
reloading printcap cache
reload status: ok
added interface eth0 ip=<deleted>%eth0 
bcast=fe80::ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff%eth0 netmask=ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::
added interface eth1 ip=<deleted>%eth1 bcast=fe80::ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff%eth1 netmask=ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::
added interface eth0 ip=<deleted> bcast=<deleted> netmask=255.255.255.0
added interface eth1 ip=<deleted> bcast=<deleted> netmask=255.255.255.0
loaded services
Becoming a daemon.
smbd: symbol lookup error: smbd: undefined symbol: tdb_check
Comment 1 Marcus Haebler 2010-07-10 22:00:26 EDT
Here is another occurrence of the error:

# smbpasswd user1
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
smbpasswd: symbol lookup error: smbpasswd: undefined symbol: tdb_check

Installed rpms:
# yum list "*tdb*"
[..]
Installed Packages
libtdb.i686                        1.2.1-2.fc13                 @fedora
libtdb-devel.i686                  1.2.1-2.fc13                 @fedora
tdb-tools.i686                     1.2.1-2.fc13                 @fedora
Comment 2 Marcus Haebler 2010-07-11 09:06:52 EDT
OK, I solved the problem. It seems during the upgrade libtdb did not upgrade successfully. The old version (from F12) does not have the tdb_check() function as it seems. Therefore samba & smbpasswd fail calling it. 

I forcefully removed libtdb and all other tdb RPMs from my system:

  rpm -ev --nodeps libtdb tdb-tools libtdb-devel

Then I went to /usr/lib and removed the leftover libtdb:

  cd /usr/lib
  rm libtdb.so*

After that, reinstall libtdb and associated RPMs.

  yum install libtdb tdb-tools libtdb-devel

Yum will complain that the RPM DB has changed. That is normal since we ran rpm directly.

This fixed the problem for me. As to the root cause, I can only guess. Samba was running during my upgrade process though.
Comment 3 Bug Zapper 2011-06-01 10:14:20 EDT
This message is a reminder that Fedora 13 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 13.  It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained.  At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora 
'version' of '13'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 13's end of life.

Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 13 is end of life.  If you 
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this 
bug to the applicable version.  If you are unable to change the version, 
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events.  Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.

The process we are following is described here: 
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 4 Simo Sorce 2011-06-15 16:36:06 EDT
This seem to have been a transient upgrade issue and should be solved.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.