Description of problem:
Got some feedback from a m17n Wijesekera keyboard layout user who is involved in publishing. He finds it difficult to work for long periods of time using IBus because the pre-edit buffer has a background colour that is different to the rest of the application's text input box.
Could we add a tick box option in the IBus preferences that toggles between setting the background colour of the pre-edit buffer and underlining the pre-edit buffer with no change to the background colour. SCIM underlines the pre-edit buffer, which appears to improve usability.
At the moment, the particular user has had to switch back to SCIM because using IBus was affecting his productivity.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open gedit
2. select the Wijesekera keyboard layout in IBus
3. type the key sequence: fkda
* The text in the pre-edit buffer appears with a black background colour.
* The text in the pre-edit buffer appearing with the same background colour as the rest of the text input box. Alternately, underline the text in the pre-edit buffer instead of changing the background colour.
I posted a patch to make the appearance of the pre-edit buffer configurable:
I put the RPM and SRPM for ibus-m17n with configuration UI:
Since the last time Harshula tested, the following changes are included:
- Pre-edit colors are no longer set for some input methods (including si-wijesekera and th-kesmanee), which do not need word conversion, by default.
- Pre-edit colors can be "unset".
Further testing would be much appreciated.
I did a quick test in gedit & oowriter. Looks great, usability has improved significantly.
This package has changed ownership in the Fedora Package Database. Reassigning to the new owner of this component.
ibus-m17n-1.3.1-1.fc14 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 14.
ibus-m17n-1.3.1-1.fc13 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 13.
ibus-m17n-1.3.1-1.fc14 has been pushed to the Fedora 14 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update ibus-m17n'. You can provide feedback for this update here: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/ibus-m17n-1.3.1-1.fc14
ibus-m17n-1.3.1-1.fc14 has been pushed to the Fedora 14 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
ibus-m17n-1.3.1-1.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.