Description of problem:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.0 Beta (Santiago)
hugo@REDHAT temp$:rpm -qa \*PackageKit\*
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.32-44.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jul 14 18:51:29 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Firefox using: (firefox -g)
2. Open the html example attached (test.html)
3. Click on Lynx for installing it.
It doesn't install the package and prints the error message below in the terminal:
FN:pk-plugin-install.c FC:pk_plugin_install_method_finished_cb LN:927
!! Error occurred during install: The name org.freedesktop.PackageKit was not provided by any .service files
Expected to install the package.
This issue has been proposed when we are only considering blocker
issues in the current Red Hat Enterprise Linux release.
** If you would still like this issue considered for the current
release, ask your support representative to file as a blocker on
your behalf. Otherwise ask that it be considered for the next
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release. **
Created attachment 433815 [details]
test file used to get the error.
This feature is important to IBM's deployment of Linux packages.
Is gnome-packagekit installed? Is the gpk-update-icon process running? The org.freedesktop.PackageKit service referred to is the session instance, not the system instance. Looking at the debug output, it could be the session instance crashed, although I would have expected it to be a bit more vocal doing so.
Assuming a fresh login session has the gpk-update-icon process running, could you please:
and then do the install in the browser to reproduce the error. This should print a few pages of debugging in the gpk-update-icon process terminal.
If it crashes, then a gdb backtrace (with debuginfo packages installed) would be very useful. Thanks.
This bug was caused because gpk-update-icon was not running when I first tested the plugin. That happened because I was using KDE for testing it.
When I saw your comments I went to test using gnome. gpk-update-icon was running and the plugin was able to install the package.
Maybe you want to work on this KDE issue later. It's not a big issue to me and IBM. But testing with gnome I got the old issues I've reported to you in some other tickets like this:
I am submitting another bug report with the information I got with debuginfo.
If it helps, there's another bug ticket opened:
I opened another ticket with RHEL6 debug information.
Thank you for your bug report. This issue was evaluated for inclusion
in the current release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Unfortunately, we
are unable to address this request in the current release. Because we
are in the final stage of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 development, only
significant, release-blocking issues involving serious regressions and
data corruption can be considered.
If you believe this issue meets the release blocking criteria as
defined and communicated to you by your Red Hat Support representative,
please ask your representative to file this issue as a blocker for the
current release. Otherwise, ask that it be evaluated for inclusion in
the next minor release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
(In reply to comment #6)
> Maybe you want to work on this KDE issue later. It's not a big issue to me and
Right; there now exists a kpackagekit project that provides the same session interface as the gnome session helper. It's probably not suitable for RHEL6, but upstream it's certainly solved now.
I'll close this NOTABUG now, but you might want to look at how backportable kpackagekit is if you want to use it internally. Thanks.