Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 618512
[QLogic 5.6] kABI whitelist request for qla4xxx
Last modified: 2011-01-13 16:45:21 EST
Description of problem:
We are building kmod RPM for the QLogic qla4xxx driver on RHEL 5.5
and facing issues while installing the binary RPM.
It complains that kernel symbols are not found. Seems kernel RPM does
not provide scsi_transport_iscs2 symbols. Is it a known issue? Is
there a solution/workaround for it? Would it be fixed in RHEL 5.6?
ksym(iscsi2_free_session) = 116a57ec is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_register_transport) = 62abc25e is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_create_conn) = 6690c11e is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_unblock_session) = 7398bd0e is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_alloc_session) = a8a7c628 is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_add_session) = ba5186f6 is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_remove_session) = e584a69a is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_destroy_conn) = f188932e is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_block_session) = fc9f0140 is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
ksym(iscsi2_unregister_transport) = fe43ccdf is needed by kmod-qlgc-qla4xxx-5.01.00.03.05.05-1.x86_64
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RHEL 5.5 ad below
Build qla4xxx kmod RPM and install
Error while installing RPM
No Error while installing RPM
More info from Mike Christie [firstname.lastname@example.org] on why this issue is seen
Pasting the email communication here
Doh, ok, I remember what happened now. The old iscsi_* symbols were kabid, but when we added the new/updated code with the iscsi2_* function naming we did not kabi them on purpose because we wanted the flexibility to change them when the bsg/ioctl-replacement junk was done (as you know qlogic is doing the ioctl module but some other drivers are waiting on upstream). We thought that stuff would be done quickly but we know it did not :)
> Lalit Chandivade wrote:
>> Should we create a Redhat BZ for this to track?
Go ahead and make one. I am not sure I am going to add them until after the bsg/interface stuff is decided. When that is added upstream and we figure out what we are going to add to RHEL 5, then I can kabi whatever you want.
Until then, everyone else is shipping scsi_transport_iscsi and their LLD module and any of the lib modules that are needed.
Thanks for the bug report. Sounds like you have the right advice already, and it is true that we are not kABIing the additional iSCSI symbols. You can either ship those yourself, wait, or if you are stuck there is a workaround but has various caveats and is not ideal.
So it sounds like this may be a late 5.6 item if the BSG stuff is finalized, else 5.7? Does this leave QLogic in a tough spot? Any workarounds if these symbols aren't finalized until 5.7?
Development Management has reviewed and declined this request. You may appeal
this decision by reopening this request.
Re-opening - this could be a late add in RHEL 5.6.
Let me know. At the moment, I have no planned action in 5.6 on this.
This is ultimately waiting for the final say from Mike Christie on how baked the symbols are. Let's wait a bit for his comments...
Any update from Mike?
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for inclusion in a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux maintenance release. Product Management has requested
further review of this request by Red Hat Engineering, for potential
inclusion in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Update release for currently deployed
products. This request is not yet committed for inclusion in an Update
For 5.6 it is going to be ok to add them. What we are doing upstream is not going to be backportable so the rhel 5 iscsi kernel api is pretty solid.
Cool. I'll post internally for review and get your signoff. Thanks.
Thank you for filing your request to update our kernel ABI whitelists. We are now reviewing your request and will endeavor to provide an update in due course.
(In reply to comment #14)
> Thank you for filing your request to update our kernel ABI whitelists. We are
> now reviewing your request and will endeavor to provide an update in due
Has this been committed/approved, Jon?
Reminder! There should be a fix present for this BZ in snapshot 3 -- unless otherwise noted in a previous comment.
Please test and update this BZ with test results as soon as possible.
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.