Description of Problem:
After settting acceleration in the mouse properties dialog, everything is fine.
After restarting X, though, the settitngs seem not to "take" but if I open the
control center, go into the "mouse" pane and press OK, my settings are
I'm suspecting this could in fact be a WindowMaker problem, as I am using that
as my wm, but I do have the "don't set non-WindowMaker specific settings" box
checked in WPrefs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
[bill@marcus bill]$ rpm -q control-center WindowMaker
I've had similar issues with e.g. keyboard auto-repeat settings in the past
(fixed by running xset from the session manager after all the various properties
-capplet things have run).
Side note: could gnomecc be made to start with the menu tree collapsed? It's
annoying on a small display to have to scroll down every time to get to the
session manager stuff, especially using a touchpad on a laptop.
Removing the sawfish submenu when it's not running would be a bonus ;o)
Are you using gnome-session? If so, does ~/.gnome/session contain several
capplets run with the --init flag?
Interestingly, sometimes running "xset q" causes the settings to kick in ...
I'll attach my session file in a sec. I've never changed anything directly in
it except to remove stuff (xterm sessions left behind after a crash). Oh, and I
once edited nautilus out of there. Don't like nautilus.
Created attachment 52944 [details]
I normally log in by running "startx -- -dpi 100 -layout whatever", sometimes I
use gdm. I havn't noticed any difference between the two, but I'll check. I've
cured it temporarily by allowing WindowMaker to set the mouse acceleration.
Created attachment 52945 [details]
Created attachment 52946 [details]
Created attachment 52947 [details]
So is gnome-session running?
The thing is, if you choose the WindowMaker session in gdm, or switchdesk over
to windowmaker, then gnome-session won't run so those --init things won't run
and settings won't be set up.
Yes, I have "GNOME" session selected (as default) and then "WindowMaker"
selected as window manager via the control panel. It works, mostly. Just
problems with some settings; I got around the issue ages ago by running "xset r
rate 250 30" from the session manager (I think I may not have reported that; I
started doing that before I knew what Bugzilla looked like :o)
My GNOME config has been recreated from scratch at least once installing 7.x, so
I don't think it's a compatability issue ...
This *appears* to be fixed now, at least when I start X from the command line
The code is all totally different for gnome 2 in rawhide as well.