From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Description of problem:
Just spotted a couple of minor buglets in kernel-2.4.18-i686.config. I assume
they're present in other configs too, although I must confess I haven't
checked (as at kernel-2.4.18-0.10).
1) CONFIG_BRIDGE_NF is set to "m", and I believe this is not a legal option -
should be "y" or "n" - I prefer "y", but you're the boss...
2) CONFIG_53C700_IO_MAPPED or CONFIG_53C700_MEM_MAPPED - could you set one of
these to stop linux/drivers/scsi/53c700.h from moaning
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.(re)build i686-up kernel from source using RH distributed config file
Actual Results: non-fatal errors reported during build (unless you actually
want the 53c700 scsi driver or bridging support, in which case it's non-
Good catch on the bridging one!
As for the 53C700: that's not a config question but a derived value based on
whatever adapters you configure. I assume you run make oldconfig before using a
config file ?
I have no clue where the scsi stuff is derived from, and I haven't had the time
to dig. I don't actually have (or require) anything even loosely based on the
53c700. This only came to light when I applied a FreeS/WAN 1.95 "make xrpm" to
the RH kernel distribution to get IPSEC clent functionality. For whatever
reason, the FreeS/WAN installation is highly sensitive to the case insensitive
string "error" in stdout or stderror of a kernel build...
However, for the record, here is what I did to demonstrate the scsi issue
(totally independent of anything FreeS/WAN related):
1) rpm -i kernel-2.4.18-0.10.src.rpm
2) cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
3) rpm -bp kernel.spec
4) cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.18/linux
5) cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-i686.config arch/i386/defconfig (overwrite existing
6) make mrproper
7) make xconfig (save and exit without making any changes whatsoever)
8) make dep bzImage modules (redirect stdout and stderr to a logfile)
Somewhere in the logfile is an error from 53c700.h:
In file included from 53c700.c:134:
53c700.h:40:2: #error "Config.in must define either CONFIG_53C700_IO_MAPPED or
CONFIG_53C700_MEM_MAPPED to use this scsi core."