Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 62779
RFE: GUI tool(s) for groups
Last modified: 2013-07-02 18:55:48 EDT
The usermode package provides utilities for editing nearly all aspects of a
*user* account. However, "advanced" *group* features are not supported.
In an effort to reduce sysadmin involvement in day-to-day "ownership" problems,
it would be nice to enable the full gamut of group management features,
* Assigning group administrators
* Assigning "newgrp" passwords
* Allowing group admins to add/remove users
* Allowing users to "newgrp" from GNOME
To that end, I'd like to ask for:
* User Manager should have controls to assign administrative rights (for a
group) to specific user(s), assign group passwords, and related fields in the
* Perhaps a separate tool? for users to launch to manage the groups for which
they are the assigned administrator.
* Ideally, it would be VERY NICE (but probably a logistic nightmare) to
allow "newgrp" from GNOME. (Probably would require taking this up on the GNOME
lists, and require a very complex passing-around of the newgrp functionality to
the Panel, Nautilus, GSM, &c.; i.e. "I've said it" but not worth bothering with
for a relatively rare case.)
This is not really an usermode bug (or better to say RFE), this looks like
something to report to system-config-users package instead.
I'm closing this bug as NOTABUG. Please file a new bug to system-config-users if
you still have some requests for enhancements.