Bug 63093 - Gettext 0.11.0 causes compile problems
Gettext 0.11.0 causes compile problems
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Red Hat Public Beta
Classification: Retired
Component: gettext (Show other bugs)
skipjack-beta2
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Trond Eivind Glomsrxd
Aaron Brown
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-04-09 19:02 EDT by Nathan G. Grennan
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:41 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2002-05-14 01:18:16 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Nathan G. Grennan 2002-04-09 19:02:18 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.9) Gecko/20020401

Description of problem:
I have run into a problem on multiple occasions where running gettext fails to
create the intl directory and so automake complains that it doesn't exist. The
error messages are:

Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
Not copying intl/ directory.

and

Makefile.am:3: required directory ./intl does not exist


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Download http://www.flyingbuttmonkeys.com/gtele/gtele_applet-0.2.tgz
2. tar -zxf gtele_applet-0.2.tgz
3. cd gtele_applet-0.2
4. ./autogen.sh
	

Actual Results:  Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
Not copying intl/ directory.

and

Makefile.am:3: required directory ./intl does not exist

Expected Results:  Now type `make' to compile the package.


Additional info:
Comment 1 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2002-04-15 11:28:29 EDT
Add the "--intl" flag.
Comment 2 Nathan G. Grennan 2002-04-15 14:00:37 EDT
Add --intl to what part? on gettextize? on gettext? autogen.sh?

Also why is this necessary with 0.11.0 and not 0.10.38?
Comment 3 Nathan G. Grennan 2002-04-15 14:05:25 EDT
Note adding --intl to the calls to gettextize in macros/autogen.sh causes
autogen.sh to behavior slightly differently, but I still get whats below even
though it created a intl directory.

Running automake --gnu  ...
Makefile.am:3: AM_GNU_GETTEXT in `configure.in' but `intl' not in SUBDIRS
**Error**: automake failed.

Comment 4 Trond Eivind Glomsrxd 2002-04-15 14:47:02 EDT
I'm not sure why it was added upstream. For help with auto*, I suggest you ask
on some development lists (redhat-devel, for instance... I'm sure there are others).
Comment 5 Nathan G. Grennan 2002-04-17 17:14:22 EDT
I have tried --intl on gettextize in marcos/autoget.sh on multiple projects. It
makes it act more like it should, but then po/Makefile  has problems with a
missing topbuilddir variable not being set. If you then fix that, you still run
into other problems. If I downgrade to 0.10.38 it works out of the box. I have
seen this with gtele_applet and zapping so far. I am pretty sure you will see
this with any recent gnome package that you try to compile from source.
Comment 6 Need Real Name 2002-05-14 01:18:10 EDT
As Chaos suggested, you will see this in compiling from source, for gnome apps.

I'm bitten by this when using Glade now (I upgraded from RH 7.1 with glade 0.6.4
to RH 7.3 with glade 0.6.4).  Now all my projects won't compile.  It's really
annoying.  Anyone found a fix for it?  I guess I will go back to an old gettext,
as I need the multi-lingual support for my projects.

I tried all of the fixes suggested above, on my own, and none of them work.  The
problem as far as I can tell is gettext 0.11 and higher don't provide
libintl.so, or libintl.la, instead they have libintl.h.  Autogen etc, expect the
*.so *.la files, or expect to be created in a new way to take advantage of the
libintl.h (I'm not sure what this way is, Glade doesn't create them that way,
that's for sure).

Cheers,

Rikke
Comment 7 Nathan G. Grennan 2002-06-24 13:03:18 EDT
Gettext is just a mess. Some gnome packages require 0.10.38 and others require
0.11.1. More do require 0.10.38, but I bet all the packages in RedHat 7.3 and
beyond have been made to work with gettext 0.11.1, so I am closing this bug.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.