Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 636699
Dashboard: No max limit on dashboard tab name can result in incredibly degraded performance
Last modified: 2011-05-23 21:12:00 EDT
Description of problem:
There appears to be no hard limit on tab name length. Overrunning whatever the soft limit is can result in any number of Bad Things happening to the stability of the page.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a new tab and attempt to edit the tab name. Copy and paste the string "01234567890" a large number of times into the field. Note the messages at the bottom that provide a success message, until the system finally begins to fail to accept the entry
2. Attempt to delete this string, backspacing, select-all/delete, etc.
3. View results.
Any number of things...
* Tabs that overrun the length of the tab fields
* I have seen the system get bogged down trying to make all these immediate changes, to the point of being unresponsive
* I have seen my browser session get invalidated
* I get a "Dashboard > $foobar" breadcrumb that never seems to update even after the system has recovered and the tab has been renamed to something sane. (see forthcoming screenshot)
* Some reasonable maximum length for a tab name.
* Perhaps if a tab has a long name, it is truncated with ellipses as to not overrun the entire tab row, i.e., "This tab name is entirely too long t..."
Created attachment 449069 [details]
In this screenshot, a tab has (mostly) recovered and taken the new tab name given. However, a breadcrumb appears at the top using an old tab name
Should be fixed, no longer saves changes on each keystroke but rather when focus changes.
Bookkeeping - closing bug - fixed in recent release.