Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 63710
RFE: Warnings and Choices about Firewall
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:42:06 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q312461; .NET
Description of problem:
All too often stuff like Bug 63663 occurs where people think services are
broken because they are not aware of the default firewall blocking those ports.
This is a request to make several small changes to the installer and/or lokkit
to make it more clear. Perhaps several of the following would help:
1. More explicit warning during firewall config in the installer.
2. More checkbox options to open ports in installer and lokkit, perhaps
adding "Samba" to that list.
3. More explicit boot time messages from /etc/init.d/ipchains by default.
4. Check if this is not already in FAQ documentation.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Red Hat 7.2 and Skipjack
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Less knowledgable user tries Red Hat Linux.
2. Tries to reach server XYZ from another machine on the network.
They often have no clue what to do and give up on Linux.
The system should give them more indication of what is occuring so they can
possibly figure out the problem.
*** Bug 67612 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
The long term plan is to migrate this configuration from anaconda (which in
interactive mode will use a reasonable default) to firstboot/user land tools.