Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 63782
wins lookup problems
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:42:08 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.0.0; Linux)
Description of problem:
They only work for ping and traceroute they wont work for telnet or ssh
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.In /etc/nsswitch.conf set lookup line to hosts: wins files dns nisplus
2.Go to a command line and attempt to ping a windows box on your network
ie: ping skippy .....
[root@localhost glibc]# ping skippy
PING skippy (192.168.0.244) from 192.168.0.6 : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.0.244: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.614 ms
--- skippy ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.614/0.614/0.614/0.000 ms
3. That worked no problem
4 Now try to telnet to the same box ....
telnet: skippy: No address associated with hostname
skippy: No address associated with name
Actual Results: telnet should have connected to the server
Expected Results: telnet could not find the hostname however ping was able to do so
I think sombody added the getaddrinfo fn recently (which is what this bug
describes - its currently missing).
Try a samba_2_2 CVS checkout. See pserver.samba.org
I have gotten the latest samba source (-r samba_2_2 ) and can confirm that the
function getaddrinfo is not there (i did a grep on the source). I did however
compile and install the libnss_wins.o module into the /lib directory and tried
again ... still no sucess .
Keeping open... 2.2.4 should be out soonish.
2.2.4 didn't include the fix. Sorry about that - if I had actually checked the
code I probably would have been able to get a fix in. The odd bit is, we did
actually have this functionality (as least I think I remember the commit
message) at one stage...
This is important to get right, so I'll try to track down the fix (a patch did
cross the lists a few months ago) - but if sombody wants to send me one it can't
do any harm :-)
This would be worth patching in Redhat's RPM before the next release if possible.
OK, looks like jerry had picked this one up, and it will be in 2.2.4. The patch
has been commited to the tree this time :-).
A new release (the last for 2.2, we hope) is flagged for the end of the week, so
this bug should be well on the way to being wrapped up!
Many thanks to all involved
We have 2.2.5 in rawhide currently, with this fix. Closing.