Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 64061
LANG environment set to invalid Locale
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:42:18 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.0.0-9; Linux)
Description of problem:
After installing skipjack beta 2 and upgrading with up2date, all my shells have LANG=en_US.iso885915. However, when I run programs like 'up2date' they complain that this is an invalid locale. I have two machine at beta 2 and both exhibit this behavior. I didn't have it in beta1.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. install beta2
2. open shell
3. run up2date
Actual Results: I get messages like:
(up2date:3993): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
(up2date:3993): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
Expected Results: No locale messages
I can get around it by unseting LANG. However, it is a pain since it screws up most KDE menu functionality.
I did not run up2date and saw the same behavior. (I added a couple of packages
on top of the default workstation configuration, but I did not remove any of the
already selected ones.)
I saw it in the first beta as well.
There appears to be an XFree patch that affects this:
Last updated: 11 March 2002
1. Xlib problem on Solaris and SVR4
On some platforms, particularly Solaris and SVR4, there is a
bug in Xlib that prevents the i18n modules from being loaded.
The symptoms are messages like the following:
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Failed to open input method
A source patch is available in the fixes subdirectory
(4.2.0-xlib-i18n-module.patch). It is also included in the
xf-4_2-branch branch of the XFree86 CVS repository.
This frequently reported problem, was fixed in the final release of
Red Hat Linux 7.3. Please upgrade.