Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 644825
'kinit' with smart card login fails to authenticate to the kdc using the cert and its private key.
Last modified: 2010-11-30 17:43:59 EST
This bug has been copied from bug #629022 and has been proposed
to be backported to 6.0 z-stream (EUS).
Tested kerberos user smart card login using Gemalto 64K and CAC card with a Rhel 6 and Rhel 5.5 KDC. Smart card authentication succeeds and the kerberos credentials issued successfully on a i686 and x86_64 Rhel 6.0 Desktop.
Rpms from http://errata.devel.redhat.com/errata/show/10274 :
1. Configured a Rhel 6 desktop to do smart card login. loaded up root certs onto
2. Edit /etc/krb5.conf with the KDC and the client ticket details. Configure
krb5.conf with trust anchors, example:
pkinit_anchors = FILE:/etc/pki/nssdb/kdc-ca.pem
pkinit_cert_match = <KU>digitalSignature
3. yum install krb5-pkinit-openssl. Edit /etc/pam.d/smartcard-auth and
/etc/pam.d/system-auth to use pam_krb5 with
4. /etc/pki/nssdb/kdc-ca.pem contains CA certificates in base64 encoded format.
CA that issued smart card and CA that issued KDC certificate.
kdc-ca.pem on KDC also has these CA certificates.
5. Used the card to perform smart card login.
Logged in successfully and the kerberos credential is issued.
Marking this bug verified.
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.