From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.0 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20020408
Description of problem:
gnome-terminal -x ssh hostname should execute 'ssh hostname' instead of
the standard user shell. I can't find any means of making this work
in the 7.3 gnome-terminal, while it worked fine under Ximian gnome 1.4
and (I'm pretty sure, but I don't have the boxes handy to test) on
previous RH Gnome releases.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. gnome-terminal -x ssh someremotehost
Actual Results: You get a new gnome-terminal window, but with a local shell instead
of a remote shell via ssh
Expected Results: An ssh based login to the remote host.
Any text oriented program can be substituted for 'ssh someremotehost',
it just happens to be the test case I discovered this with.
Okay, so the summary should say -x not -e. The problem otherwise stands
7.2 and 7.3 have the same version of gnome-terminal though, so that's strange.
No, -e doesn't work either. Nor does --execute.
Works for me.
Try "gnome-terminal -e top" and send along the output of "gnome-terminal
--version" and "rpm -q gnome-core"
gnome-terminal -e top
<new terminal window, login shell instead of top>
homestake 16:43:22 [zoo] gnome-terminal --version
Gnome Terminal 22.214.171.124
homestake 16:44:06 [zoo] rpm -q gnome-core
Weird. Maybe try "rpm --verify gnome-core"
Perhaps you have a "factory" terminal running, and your command line is just
starting up another window in the current terminal. The factory mode
(--start-factory) doesn't work quite right because it doesn't forward command
All kosher on the rpm-verify.
I did have some terminal windows started with:
gnome-terminal --use-factory --start-factory-server
which is what I get from the "Programs|System|GNOME terminal" menu choice.
I killed off all of those processes, and then (from an xterm) started all
of the test cases (-e, -x, --command, --execute). No difference in execution
(just the user shell).
I don't have any more ideas on what to check. I'll think about it, and we'll see
if more reports come in.
gnome-terminal codebase is entirely replaced in rawhide, so this bug no longer
applies. Others probably do. ;-)