Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 64773
adsl-setup doesn't properly generate configuration file
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:42:31 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.9) Gecko/20020408
Description of problem:
- adsl-setup doesn't generate configuration file
/etc/.../network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp. (or /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf)
- The ADSL connection won't come up on boot even if adsl-setup was told to do so.
- I can connect by executing .../network-scripts/ifup-ppp, but basename
complains about no argument when executing the script.
- /sbin/ifup ppp can't be used (missing ifcfg-ppp)
- .../network-scripts/ifdown-ppp doesn't work
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
I've been able to solve the problem by doing the following:
- Renaming ifcfg- to ifcfg-ppp0 and changing DEVICE= to DEVICE=ppp0
- Renaming ifup-ppp to ifup-ppp0
- Renaming ifdown-ppp to ifdown-ppp0
Now both /sbin/ifup ppp0 and /sbin/ifdown ppp0 work.
Sorry, the only neccessary thing is to rename ifcfg- to ifcfg-ppp0 and change
DEVICE= to DEVICE=ppp0. So it seems that some variable in the adsl-setup is
being set to "" instead of "ppp0".
It seem that the Rawhide version of rp-pppoe fix this problem... rp-pppoe.3.3.5
Personnaly i use the original version from roaming penguin website and it works
Sorry i've made a mistake, it should be corrected as mentionned in bugzilla
59236 but it is not.
Uh yeah, this is annoying. In 7.2 this worked quite well. Too stupid when you
get stuck at this point.
There's this strange dsl_device variable which is never defined if the
previous 'if' isn't true... In fact I don't really know what's wrong but the
script *is* buggy.
it's fixed in 3.4-4. You will find it in next rawhide release
This is an FAQ in Linux message boards. Dial-up servers without X Windows are a
common thing and people are failing to set up ifcfg-ppp0 due to this bug. I
wonder why Red Hat has not released an errata package for this?