Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 6490
ypserv failed to work at all
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:52 EDT
We recently upgraded our entire network from redhat-5.2 to
redhat 6.1, but I could not get NIS to work at all. ypserv
started up ok on the NIS server, and ypbind would start on
the clients. But when NIS requests were put in by clients,
eg. ypcat XXX, nothing would be returned (ypcat would hang).
ypserv in full debug would show the request but not show any
serving of the requested data.
Moreover, as more NIS requests came in from the clients
ypserv would spawn more and more job until the server almost
ground to a halt.
After a few hours of head scratching we eventually tried
rebuilding the ypserv RPM using different configure options
to the original (RedHat) ones, and now everything is working
The configure options we used were simply
This should be fixed in the errata RPM, which it would be
a good idea to update to, in any case.