Bug 64913 - Installer creates dangling symlinks
Summary: Installer creates dangling symlinks
Status: CLOSED DEFERRED
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: distribution (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 7.3
Hardware: i686 Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bill Nottingham
QA Contact: Brock Organ
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2002-05-14 13:38 UTC by Steve Snyder
Modified: 2014-03-17 02:27 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2002-05-14 20:08:15 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Steve Snyder 2002-05-14 13:38:26 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.0rc2)
Gecko/20020510

Description of problem:
After a full install (not upgrade) of RedHat Linux v7.3, many dangling symlinks
are found on the newly-installed system.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.  This is how I installed:
  a. Selected Custom installation
  b. In package selection, opted for Everything & pkgs selection
  c. Removed kernel-debug and kernel-pcmcia-cs packages from selection
  d. Added kernel-smp package to selection
  
2. Installation completed without any warnings or errors.

3. After the initial boot of the system, ran this command:

    symlinks -tr / | grep dangling



Actual Results:  I was shown this output:

dangling: /usr/lib/kde3/libkcm_ktalkd.so -> libkcm_ktalkd-gcc2.96.so
dangling: /usr/lib/kde3/pothumbnail.so -> pothumbnail-gcc2.96.so
dangling: /usr/lib/libredhat-kernel.so -> /lib/libredhat-kernel.so
dangling: /usr/share/foomatic/db/compiled -> /var/cache/foomatic/compiled
dangling: /usr/share/foomatic/db/pcache -> /var/cache/foomatic/pcache
dangling: /usr/share/licq/qt-gui/locale/cs.qm -> cs_CZ.qm
dangling: /usr/share/licq/qt-gui/locale/ru.qm -> ru_RU.KOI8-R.qm


Expected Results:  No dangling symlinks should have been found.


Additional info:

It occurred to me that perhaps these symlinks are actually corrected by use of
RedHat Linux - that is, fixed up by use of the packages that use these files.  
I ran the above command again after 2 days of use (both text mode & KDE
desktop).  The same results were seen.

Comment 1 Michael Fulbright 2002-05-14 15:26:42 UTC
These are packaging errors - reassigning.

Comment 2 Bill Nottingham 2002-05-15 14:15:32 UTC
Please reopen bugs against the specific packages - thanks.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.