Bug 649224 - [abrt] sort - segfault with LC_TIME different from other multibyte locales
[abrt] sort - segfault with LC_TIME different from other multibyte locales
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Classification: Red Hat
Component: coreutils (Show other bugs)
6.0
x86_64 Linux
low Severity medium
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Ondrej Vasik
qe-baseos-daemons
abrt_hash:f3762814c36b2b31c84f03c78d2...
:
Depends On: 647938
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-11-03 05:29 EDT by Ondrej Vasik
Modified: 2011-05-19 09:50 EDT (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: coreutils-8.4-10.el6
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Previously, when the multibyte LC_TIME differed from LC_CTYPE, an assertion failure caused the sort utility to crash irrespective of the parameters provided to it. This is fixed to prevent a crash when the sort utility is run and now works as expected.
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: 647938
Environment:
Last Closed: 2011-05-19 09:50:56 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Ondrej Vasik 2010-11-03 05:29:33 EDT
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #647938 +++

abrt version: 1.1.13
architecture: x86_64
Attached file: backtrace
cmdline: sort --version
component: coreutils
crash_function: raise
executable: /bin/sort
kernel: 2.6.34.7-61.fc13.x86_64
package: coreutils-8.4-9.fc13
rating: 4
reason: Process /bin/sort was killed by signal 6 (SIGABRT)
release: Fedora release 13 (Goddard)
time: 1288387960
uid: 500

comment
-----
sort from coreutils just crashes and does not work at all. Output is

sort: sort.c:1306: inittables_mb: Assertion `mblength != (size_t)-1 && mblength != (size_t)-2' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I'm using coreutils-8.4.9.fc13 on an updated F13 system (x86_64).
I have also tried to rebuild coreutils-8.5-5.fc14.1.src.rpm for F13, but the result is the same.

How to reproduce
-----
1. run "sort" in any way (like "sort --version")

--- Additional comment from lukas.middendorf@freenet.de on 2010-10-29 17:37:53 EDT ---

Created attachment 456566 [details]
File: backtrace

--- Additional comment from kdudka@redhat.com on 2010-10-29 18:39:22 EDT ---

Thank you for filing the bug!  Please append the output of 'locale'.

--- Additional comment from lukas.middendorf@freenet.de on 2010-10-29 18:52:30 EDT ---

Output of 'locale' is
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=de_DE
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

--- Additional comment from kdudka@redhat.com on 2010-10-30 11:46:11 EDT ---

Right, sort needs to be fixed.  The following should get you over the problem until we fix it properly:

$ export LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8

--- Additional comment from kdudka@redhat.com on 2010-11-02 13:31:43 EDT ---

Created attachment 457239 [details]
proposed fix

--- Additional comment from kdudka@redhat.com on 2010-11-02 14:33:16 EDT ---

Created attachment 457246 [details]
proposed fix V2 (against rawhide)

--- Additional comment from ovasik@redhat.com on 2010-11-03 05:28:24 EDT ---

Comment on attachment 457246 [details]
proposed fix V2 (against rawhide)

Thanks Kamil, looks fine, although some hunks in your new patch are IMHO unrelated to this issue :).
Comment 5 Misha H. Ali 2011-05-10 21:05:44 EDT
    Technical note added. If any revisions are required, please edit the "Technical Notes" field
    accordingly. All revisions will be proofread by the Engineering Content Services team.
    
    New Contents:
Previously, when the multibyte LC_TIME differed from LC_CTYPE, an assertion failure caused the sort utility to crash irrespective of the parameters provided to it. This is fixed to prevent a crash when the sort utility is run and now works as expected.
Comment 6 errata-xmlrpc 2011-05-19 09:50:56 EDT
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2011-0646.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.