From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible;
Description of problem:
RPM-install failed with:
1. Unabele to identify operating system"
2. "%pre scriptlet failed (2)"
Version-Release number of selected component (if
Steps to Reproduce:
1. go to RPM-destination
2. rpm -ivh <package>
Actual Results: Preparing... ###### [100%]
Unable to identify operating system
error: execution of %pre scriptlet from <package>
failed, exit status 2
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping
Expected Results: the package should be installed
It`s a basic feature, that's not work...
What is <package>? This is a problem with
that <package>'s %pre, not with rpm.
<package> decribes every RPM-package and was used as a
wildcard. But the installation routine was sucessful.
If it's a problem with every package scriptlet,
then you /bin/sh is borked somehow.
What do You mean with "borked". If You mean "broken",
what's broken on the shell /bin/bash?
Just I've done the "rpm --rebuilddb" failing with an
error: "Item 146 on page 581 hashes incorrectly. db4
error (-30979) from db->verify: DB_VERIFY: Database
Judging from your problems, I suggest you start looking
for causes outside of rpm, like bad disk/memory.
Meanwhile, you might try (as root, you need db*-utils installed)
tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb.tar.gz rpm # <-- just in case
mv Packages Packages-ORIG
db_dump Packages-ORIG | db_load Packages
I found the file "PACKAGE" in the
rpmdb-redhat.i386.rpm. I run the commands in
/usr/lib/rpmdb/redhat/ with no shown errors.
The command "rpm --rebuilddb" works, but the following
command "rpm -ivh webmin-0.88.rpm" failed with the
The errors outside from rpm, this should be a bad
installation-cd (corrupt data) or errors at my hard
I have done "rpm -V rpm". I got this message:
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Basenames
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Conflictname
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Dirnames
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Filemd5s
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Group
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Installtid
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Name
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Packages
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Providename
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Provideversion
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Requirename
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Requireversion
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Sha1header
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Sigmd5
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/Triggername
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/__db.001
.....UG. c /var/lib/rpm/__db.002
Calling "rpm -V bash" brings nothing... Is the only way
installing rpm as a tgz.-file?
I'm not going to be able to reproduce this problem.
for your info and your help:
I4ve installed the system new and It works.
I saw, that there are different filesystems between the buggy system and now.
At the buggy system the / partition was an ext3 and the <package> I4d tried to
install was on an ext2 filesystem. I used this filesystem as an backup.
During mounting this "backup"-filesystem I got some problems with e2fsck. I
think, that4s the error4s reason. After checkng the ext2-"backup" filesystem
all the packages from the "backup"-filesystem shows this error.
That4s why I think, mounting an ext2-filesystem in an ext3-system may be
dangerous for the rpm-package saving there.
You will see, I have an explanation, thank you for your patience.