Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 654238
[RFE] get rid of the HTML/XML reports, use a (c)pickle store
Last modified: 2017-02-23 12:02:43 EST
- sos should do one thing but well (fast, reliable): gather data.
- Parsing of the data, analysis, reporting, etc. should happen in the chain, in autonomous software components.
- Therefore including XML or HTML specific code, generating a static HTML file in the report is wrong.
Impact of removing all existing reports:
- For any kind of analysis or reporting to be done, a clean record of the executed commands & included files, eventually encountered events (eg files that did not exist), etc. should still be kept.
- We can simply use a pickle store.
- The pickle binary format is assured to be compatible between all Python versions that include this module.
- It is a relatively efficient binary format.
- A 100% compatible, very fast C version can be trivially used when available (try import cPikle as pickle except import pickle)
- Spacewalk/Satellite already use cPickle.
This package has changed ownership in the Fedora Package Database. Reassigning to the new owner of this component.
The problem described has been handled upstream in