From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0rc3) Gecko/20020523
Description of problem:
Moving a file to a folder, in desktop, seems to have problems: the file is
physically moved to folder, but the icon is still in desktop.
Sorry for my bad english.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Creaate a file in desktop
2.Create a new folder
3.Drag and drop file to folder
Actual Results: The file is moved, but the image of it remain in desktop.
If i logout from Gnome i can see an error "** WARNING ** Not comping metadata".
Maybe FAM is somehow messed up on your system?
Possibly, that has created problems like this before.
FAM seems to be ok, but i have finded a workaround: i move the file directly in
a nautilus window browsing a directory, and it works without any problems or i
can use "nautilus -q" to "refresh" the desktop; so i think is a nautilus
problem, but i could be wrong.
Is there anything i could do to see if is a fam problem?
I can't think of anything to suggest really... just needs debugging.
I have changed the partitions on my HD, so i've had to reinstall RedHat. After i
have logged as user, i've tryed to verify if the problem still exists... well,
it seems all working fine. Probably i've made a big mistake in the previous
installation, really i don't remember what i've done and if i have done
something wrong, i've just installed some nautilus themes as user in /home/usr
dir that probably cause the problem and i haven't tested nautilus as root at all
I'm so sorry to have wasted your time for nothing, hope you can excuse me.
I'm again here, after some days i have definitively resolved the problem. Yes i
was wrong, it was not a themes problem, but a FAM problem. This evening i have
had some times to look at it and i have seen that FAM wasn't running at all. So
i have thought that was a fam bug, i have upgraded it to the latest version
downloading the rawhide source of it and compiling, but no way, it didn't work.
I have downloaded the fam sources from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/ and i
have readed some documentation. I have modified the /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam file
deleting the bind option : bind = 127.0.0.1 exactly like i have seen in the
installation notes in the sources. Well i don't really know why now it works and
what the bind string is.. i am only lucky.
Thanks for your patience.