Bug 655153 - [RFE] confirmation prompt when suspending a virtual machine - webadmin
Summary: [RFE] confirmation prompt when suspending a virtual machine - webadmin
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Classification: Red Hat
Component: ovirt-engine
Version: 3.6.0
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ovirt-4.5.0
: 4.5.0
Assignee: Lucia Jelinkova
QA Contact: Nisim Simsolo
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On: 1121616 1171924
Blocks: 1993285
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2010-11-19 18:20 UTC by Chris Williams
Modified: 2022-05-26 16:22 UTC (History)
12 users (show)

Fixed In Version: ovirt-engine-4.5.0
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
Previously, no confirmation dialog was shown for the suspend VM operation. A virtual machine was suspended right after clicking the suspend-VM button. With this release, a confirmation dialog is presented by default when pressing the suspend-VM button. The user can choose not to show this confirmation dialog again. The setting can be reverted in the user preferences dialog.
Clone Of:
: 1993285 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed: 2022-05-26 16:22:26 UTC
oVirt Team: Virt
Target Upstream Version:
sherold: Triaged+


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Private Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Issue Tracker RHV-37315 0 None None None 2021-08-03 15:13:49 UTC
Red Hat Knowledge Base (Solution) 129743 0 None None None 2019-08-02 20:25:09 UTC
Red Hat Product Errata RHSA-2022:4711 0 None None None 2022-05-26 16:22:59 UTC
oVirt gerrit 116528 0 master MERGED webadmin: Add a confirmation dialog to Suspend VM 2021-09-14 13:01:34 UTC
oVirt gerrit 116609 0 master MERGED webadmin: Make show suspend dialog option configurable 2021-09-19 22:29:45 UTC

Comment 1 Michal Skrivanek 2012-09-27 15:27:05 UTC
make it configurable

Comment 2 Michal Skrivanek 2013-06-25 15:08:20 UTC
should be good enough for now to have settings for individual popups in LocalStorage

Comment 4 daniel 2015-05-05 10:46:33 UTC
Hi there,

any chance we get this for RHEV-M3.6 ?

thx in advance

Comment 5 Yaniv Lavi 2015-05-05 10:56:58 UTC
(In reply to dmoessne from comment #4)
> Hi there,
> 
> any chance we get this for RHEV-M3.6 ?
> 
> thx in advance

This issue is blocked on the infra to enable this in the system and yet allow users to dismiss this to make make the action painful. This will not be in 3.6 time line, but will be considered for future versions.

Comment 8 Martin Tessun 2017-07-06 14:57:39 UTC
Yaniv,

could you please clarify on your latest comment, telling this is blocked on Infra:

(In reply to Yaniv Lavi from comment #5)
> (In reply to dmoessne from comment #4)
> > Hi there,
> > 
> > any chance we get this for RHEV-M3.6 ?
> > 
> > thx in advance
> 
> This issue is blocked on the infra to enable this in the system and yet
> allow users to dismiss this to make make the action painful. This will not
> be in 3.6 time line, but will be considered for future versions.

Thanks!
Martin

Comment 9 Yaniv Lavi 2017-07-10 07:58:33 UTC
(In reply to Martin Tessun from comment #8)
> Yaniv,
> 
> could you please clarify on your latest comment, telling this is blocked on
> Infra:
> 

This was blocked by BZ #1121616, that would have added a 'do not ask me again' option to dialogs but it was closed.
We now need to decide if the current request is not going to annoy most of our customer vs adding safety to this flow. 

Oved, don't we want to keep that RFE open to make sure it an option in the new UI?

Comment 26 Arik 2021-08-12 16:52:21 UTC
After discussing this RFE with @michal.skrivanek and @sgratch, I think the way forward with this one would be to scope it to:
The confirmation dialog would be displayed by default with an option of "don't show me this windows again".
If the user sets this option, we'll store that configuration using the new mechanism we have for persisting user settings in the database.

The next steps would be to use that configuration similarly in the VM portal and to have a user-settings dialog in the webadmin.

Without the above mentioned "next steps", the user won't be able to revert his decision of not showing the dialog again.
But even then, it would be no worse than the current state.

Comment 28 Sharon Gratch 2021-08-31 13:48:02 UTC
as (In reply to Arik from comment #26)
> After discussing this RFE with @michal.skrivanek and
> @sgratch, I think the way forward with this one would be to scope
> it to:
> The confirmation dialog would be displayed by default with an option of
> "don't show me this windows again".
> If the user sets this option, we'll store that configuration using the new
> mechanism we have for persisting user settings in the database.
> 
> The next steps would be to use that configuration similarly in the VM portal
> and to have a user-settings dialog in the webadmin.
> 
> Without the above mentioned "next steps", the user won't be able to revert
> his decision of not showing the dialog again.
> But even then, it would be no worse than the current state.

For webadmin, +1 for that. we are planning to discuss this as part of webadmin user settings solution, as mentioned above.
For web-ui, a confirmation dialog is already displayed when suspending a VM so no need to add this. Regarding disabling/enabling, there are currently no plans to support confirmation messages enabling/disabling ability for web-ui. I'll update BZ 1993285 accordingly

Comment 30 Arik 2021-09-01 08:03:34 UTC
(In reply to Sharon Gratch from comment #28)
> For web-ui, a confirmation dialog is already displayed when suspending a VM
> so no need to add this. Regarding disabling/enabling, there are currently no
> plans to support confirmation messages enabling/disabling ability for
> web-ui. I'll update BZ 1993285 accordingly

Assuming this functionality of suspending a VM is used to some extent by users via the VM portal, that is then an indication that starting with displaying the confirmation dialog by default in the webadmin would be alright

Comment 34 Nisim Simsolo 2022-04-17 13:28:48 UTC
Verified: 
ovirt-engine-4.5.0-0.237.el8ev
vdsm-4.50.0.10-1.el8ev.x86_64
qemu-kvm-6.2.0-11.module+el8.6.0+14707+5aa4b42d.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-8.0.0-5.module+el8.6.0+14480+c0a3aa0f.x86_64

verification scenario:
1. Browse WebAdmin, Suspend running VM, verify confirmation dialog is presented (by default) with an option to not show this confirmation dialog again. Click "ok" button.
    verify VM is suspended.
2. Run VM and Repeat step 1 (in order to verify dialog persistence)
3. Run VM, suspend VM, this time click on "do not show this dialog again" and click ok. 
     Verify VM is suspended, open account settings -> confirmations and verify "show confirmation dialog on suspend VM" checkbox is unchecked.
4. Run VM, open account settings -> confirmations and check  "show confirmation dialog on suspend VM" checkbox.
     Suspend VM, verify confirmation dialog is presented, click ok. 
     Verify VM is suspended.
5. Run VM, Browse VM portal, suspend VM, verify warning dialog popup is presented with "are you sure you want to suspend the VM" message. 
    click yes.
6. Verify there's no option to disable confirmation dialog from VM portal.
7. From WebAdmin, disable confirmation dialog, browse VM portal, suspend VM. 
    Verify confirmation dialog is still presented.

Comment 39 errata-xmlrpc 2022-05-26 16:22:26 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory (Moderate: RHV Manager (ovirt-engine) [ovirt-4.5.0] security update), and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2022:4711


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.