Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 657491
font package dependency bloat
Last modified: 2010-12-01 20:25:16 EST
Description of problem:
Today's (2010-11-26) update to java-1.6.0-openjdk pulls in whole bunch of unwanted deps on Asian font packages.
# repoquery -q --requires java-1.6.0-openjdk | grep fonts
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
This package not to pull in unwanted fonts.
This is a necessity due to the inability of existing fonts to show certain characters.
Please see bug# 622680 and bug# #643674. They are the one for which those fonts were added.
(In reply to comment #1)
> This is a necessity due to the inability of existing fonts to show certain
Pardon, but this is
a) inacceptable ... due to the bloat of adding rarely used fonts.
b) nonsensical ... because you are only adding asian fonts.
If there were a techncial necessity to these fonts you'd also have to add fonts for the rest of the world (e.g. Eastern Europe).
> Please see bug# 622680 and bug# #643674.
Will do when time permits.
Shouldn't this be done in sub package likes OpenOffice.org packages do? That way we all get what we need without the bloat.
Not a lot to add here except to reiterate what Ralf has already said.
"unacceptable..." does sum it up.
CC-ing to i18n-bugs.
I left a comment at the admin page of java (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/java-1.6.0-openjdk-22.214.171.124-126.96.36.199.fc13), but i think nobody ever reads there!!!!!!! Then i found this report!!!!! So i'll post here too!!!!!!
It's a quite strange thing that to install a software package of 26.1 MB, you need additional fonts packages for 26.3MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!! fonts!!!!!!!!
Everybody knows Java is useless and bloated by Nature!!!, but a double-sized pack for the same software, is a easily noticeable lack of optimization!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you install a desktop manager, all additional "extra" packages with fonts, backgrounds, icons, sounds effects, boring games, etc are not installed as dependencies!!!!!! And yeah!!! to understand that's the way to go, you don't need an ORACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny joke!!!!
I think packages shouldn't have so very fat useless dependencies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bumping up the priority.
The solution has to be to create a subpackage (java-1.6.0-openjdk-fonts) which will have the Requires for. Add that subpackage to default for appropriate comps group if needed.
I'd also claim that this change should have never gone to stable Fedora release, only to rawhide.
Just echoing the others: I don't want or need the Asian, Indic, and what have you fonts. To a 8859-1 user, the empty box symbol is just as useful as fonts we cannot read, anyway. Internationalization should not require undue burden of the installation of resources the user does not need.
This is in the process of being reverted.
In the meantime, please keep a sense of perspective here. A few additional dependencies are not the end of the world.
java-1.6.0-openjdk-188.8.131.52-184.108.40.206.fc13 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 13.
java-1.6.0-openjdk-220.127.116.11-18.104.22.168.fc14 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 14.
(In reply to comment #10)
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-22.214.171.124-126.96.36.199.fc13 has been submitted as an update for
> Fedora 13.
Deepak, thanks for the quick fix.
Folks, I assume it's now time to add karma to those updates to get them out as soon as possible.
java-1.6.0-openjdk-188.8.131.52-184.108.40.206.fc14 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 14.
java-1.6.0-openjdk-220.127.116.11-18.104.22.168.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update java-1.6.0-openjdk'. You can provide feedback for this update here: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/java-1.6.0-openjdk-22.214.171.124-126.96.36.199.fc13
java-1.6.0-openjdk-188.8.131.52-184.108.40.206.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
I installed from the test repo this morning -- it works well now. Thank you for your attention to this problem.