From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR
Description of problem:
This has been an odd bug. The first time I attempted to install Redhat, the
installer crashed about 1/2 way through, just after/during installing
openjade. I naturally thought this was a fluke, so I tried again, and
received the same error in the exact same place. Then I remembered that I was
using a CD-R, so I thought the CD was the problem and burned another. This
time, it got past the openjade spot, but hung just a few packets from
completion (didn't catch the exact point). So, I figured that I also had a
bad 2nd CD as well, and burned another of it. It crashed at the openjade
point again. Next, I thought my download was to blame, so I downloaded both
CDs again and burned yet another copy of each. The next time I tried, it
crashed in the same spot as before, at the openjade point. At this point I
logged into bugzilla and read through some people with similar problems. I
also ran the checksum, which came out perfectly fine. I noticed one person
said he burned a CD at a slower speed, and this solved the problem, so I tried
that, too. However, I received the same error. This leads me to believe that
this error is a bug, for 2 reasons:
1. Other people have had this same error at the same point. The odds of this
happening by a faulty burn are quite high.
2. I used FOUR DIFFERENT CDs. The odds of the same error at the same point
occuring due to a replicated erroneous burn are also extremely slim.
Oh well, I hope you can help. I was going to be a former Windows user, but
now I'm not so sure.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Burn the installation disk
2. Run the installer
Actual Results: I receive the same error
OK - here is the hardware config:
* Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
* 512 MB DDR RAM
* Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
* Visiontek XTASY 6964 Geforce 3 Ti500
* 3 hard drives - 80 GB Samsung (Windows disk), 15 GB Maxtor (also Windows
disk), and 6 GB Quantum Bigfoot (would-be Linux disk)
* Acer Benq 48x12x48 CD-R/RW
* Note: while typing this up, I had an idea - I burned the disks without
closing the sessions (old habit), and since the errors come just after the
half-way point of the installation (or at the theoretical end of the first
disk), perhaps this is the cause of the problem. I will respond saying
whether this has an effect.
Created attachment 915103 [details]
(This comment was longer than 65,535 characters and has been moved to an attachment by Red Hat Bugzilla).
Update - I tried to install Redhat with a finalized CD-R, but there was no
difference: it crashed while installing openjade.
Did you happen to test the CDs using the builtin mediacheck?
Yes, I did - both passed.
However, I went back and selected as few packages to install as possible. After
I tried this, Redhat did install. Since this was not near what I wanted, I went
back through and selected some more packages (but not nearly as many as I had at
first). Redhat again successfully installed, but I noticed something
interesting: openjade is the first RPM to install off the second CD. I think
that anaconda, for some reason, did not ask for the 2nd CD with the package
configuration I had selected. That would somewhat explain the "SystemError:
(16, 'Device or resource busy')" error: perhaps it was looking for a CD that was
not in the drive. Once again, this seems to point towards a bug, though odd it
is. Oh yeah - I originally selected all the packets to install except for
"Dialup Support" and "All Packets." I believe the install size was about 2.1 GB.
Thanks for the additional information, I will assign this issue to an engineer.
There was a case where rereading from the CD didn't properly close the file
descriptor on the CD making it impossible to eject. Fixed in our current