Description of problem:
Occasionally (have only been observed when job running is delayed past the next
execution of cron) the weekly anacron task locks out the daily task. Atttached
you will find the output at such an instance of:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Created attachment 467907 [details]
Created attachment 467908 [details]
Created attachment 467909 [details]
Well this is clearly a bug in the 99-raid-check script which hangs for some reason and it should be fixed in the package that owns this script. Please open a bug against this package.
On the other hand we could add a feature to anacron such as a nowait flag that would make the job flagged with this flag to not wait for it to finish and mark it as finished immediately after its child process forks.
No it's not a bug in the 99-raid-check, it only takes 3 days to complete on heavily loaded 2TB disks, fine with me, 4 days left until next time.
Then it cannot be run from anacron at least not before the nowait feature is added and also cannot be run from the cron.weekly directory but directly with its own entry in /etc/anacrontab. The other possiblity is to handle the spawning of the long-running process directly in the 99-raid-check script.
Then why does it work all the weeks when start delay does not exceed the next invocation of anacron?
I.e we have only seen it has lock out daily jobs when 'random(RANDOM_DELAY) + cron.weekly.delay > 60' (numerically: random(45) + 25 > 60).
Your comment seems to imply that no anacron task may last longer than the shortest period?
If it takes more than one day to complete then it will block the daily jobs the next day anyway regardless of the random delay.
Created attachment 467976 [details]
Log showing daily and weekly active at the same time
Also shows that the weird locking behavior does not always occur.
OK now I see what is the problem - it happens when the weekly jobs are started in an anacron instance that is started at 2am or earlier in the day. In that case the daily job falls out of the allowed range however its file is being locked - that is the bug. It should not have been locked in that case.
(In reply to comment #9)
> Created attachment 467976 [details]
> Log showing daily and weekly active at the same time
> Also shows that the weird locking behavior does not always occur.
Could you test the update and let us now?
Where do I find the update?
Was only able to find the stable ones in https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates
Rawhide doesn't have updates, packages are just synced on mirrors. It should be fixed by release 1.4.6-5.
I built a F14 package here in koji:
You can download it from there.
cronie-1.4.5-3.fc14 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 14.
cronie-1.4.5-3.fc14 has been pushed to the Fedora 14 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update cronie'. You can provide feedback for this update here: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/cronie-1.4.5-3.fc14
cronie-1.4.5-4.fc14 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 14.
cronie-1.4.5-4.fc14 has been pushed to the Fedora 14 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.