From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 4.0)
Description of problem:
During both an initial installation, and an upgrade from 7.2, anaconda fails
with an exception, producing a traceback (attached). During the installation,
it appears to be after the packages for CD 2 have been installed, but before
prompted for CD 3. During the upgrade, it occurs after OpenJade is installed
from CD 1.
RedHat 7.2 installs on this system without issue.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Boot from Installation CD 1, both gui and text mode were tested
2. Select English, default keyboard, MS Intellimouse ps/2.
3. Select Install -> Workstation.
4. Select automatic partitioning (other options were tested too).
5. grub bootloader, in MBR, default boot image, no grub password.
6. uncheck DHCP, add IP addr, netmask, hostname, etc.
7. no firewall (other options also tested)
8. English USA, timezone Central, add root password, add one user acct.
9. select gnome, kde, development, and games, no indiv. pkgs (but indiv pkgs
was tested once).
10. Matrox Mystique autodetected.
11. Wait while FSes are formatted and pkgs are installed.
12. Replace CD 1 with CD 2, wait while CD 2 pkgs installed.
13. Anaconda fails with traceback just before when CD 3 would be requested.
Actual Results: Anaconda fails with traceback just before when CD 3 would be
Expected Results: Installation would prompt for CD 3, install pkgs from there,
and complete successfully.
Reported to customer support as service request 207134. I was instructed to
submit a bugzilla report.
Installation media (box set purchased from CompUSA) has been verified using the
mediacheck boot option (on the system which fails the installation). All three
install CDs passed.
Performing installation in text mode, and with skip XF86 setup checked, and it
fails in the same place.
Installed from RH 7.2 CDs. Then attempted to upgrade 7.2 to 7.3, and got a
similar crash in anaconda (earlier in the process though, while it was
installing from the first CD).
I used the same RH 7.3 CDs to install on another system as a test, and the
installation was successful there.
The system that fails has the following components:
Abit KR7A motherboard
Athlon XT1800 CPU
1GB of DDR-RAM (2 sticks of 512MB)
Seagate ST320414A HDD (20GB, 7200RPM, ATA-100, master on IDE1, only device on
LG CD-RW CED-8080B (master on IDE2)
generic 48x ATAPI CD (slave on IDE2)
Matrox Mystique PCI video card
3Com 3C905C-TXM NIC
Ensoniq AudioPCI soundcard
The log from the gui installation failure is attached to customer support
service request 207134. If necessary, I can provide logs from the text and
upgrade failures as well.
Created attachment 59864 [details]
anaconda installation failure log
Also: I have attempted the installation from both the generic CDROM drive and
the CD-RW drive with the same results (fails in the same location).
Have you run the mediacheck option yet?
Yes, I ran the boot mediacheck. All three CDs passed. (That was in the original
Sorry, I missed that information.
If you try a minimum install (try 'Custom', then turn off everything in the
screen with all the different package groups) does it do better?
This looks like a media related issue. It is possible at times that the
read errors happen sporatically (we get about 5-10 bad CD reports a day, though
most of these are due to CDs people have burned themselves).
It figures that the day I finally submit the thing as a bug, after fighting this
for 4 days, having performed close to 15 installations which all resulted in the
bug, now...I can't recreate it any more.
It appears that this was a result of BIOS issues with my machine. I had
previously selected default bios configuration that it considered "Optimal
Default Settings". This time I selected "Failsafe Default Settings". My next
installation was successful. So I put it back to Optimal settings and...it was
still successful. I can't make it fail now.
Sorry for wasting your time.