Bug 66302 - Lost keybindings, even if requested during install
Lost keybindings, even if requested during install
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: XFree86 (Show other bugs)
7.3
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Mike A. Harris
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-06-07 07:07 EDT by Lene Jensen
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:43 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-04-20 08:45:36 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Lene Jensen 2002-06-07 07:07:29 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.79 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.18-4 i686)

Description of problem:
After installation, I lost the additional keybindings I have had under previous
version of Linux.  If the Alt-e key combination has been pressed, it would
display "e".  Now it does not, it displays "e".

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Didn't try


Additional info:

During installation I chose en_GB, en_US and no_NO (I think it is no_NO,
Norwegian, not nynorsk) as languages.  I expected that to let me have norwegian
characters, French characters and so on, as I have had under all previous
versions of Red Hat, but this time I lost all characters.  I even lost the
Euro-key, which is something my colleagues can find on their en_GB (possibly
en_US as well).
Comment 1 Mike A. Harris 2002-06-07 21:44:11 EDT
Your sentence above:  '... it would display "e".  Now it does not, it displays
"e".'   both "e"'s are the same, so I don't understand the problem.  Most
likely what you were trying to show, did not come through in the bug report.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the problem.  I did add Euro key support
to en_GB and en_US locales however, which was also tested and confirmed to
work properly by various people.

Can you please elaborate on this problem in more detail?
Comment 2 Lene Jensen 2002-06-10 09:57:44 EDT
One week ago, I made a Fresh 7.3 install.  I have installed thousands of
computers over the years, and I did nothing special.  After installation, I
realised that when I pressed the Alt-e to get "e", Alt-f to get "f" and so on,
instead I got "e" and "f".  I would expect that the alt-keys would work in such
a way that I could replicate some of the special characters in Europe, but no
such luck.  In addition to doing en_GB and en_US, I chose Norwegian language.

What I think might be the problem are the socalled "Dead keys". Maybe they were
not enabled properly?
Comment 3 Lene Jensen 2002-06-10 10:06:25 EDT
Sorry for making a comment on my comment, but I realise what is going wrong
between us: when I type "e" (a character I see a an a with a small ring above),
you see "e", but I see my native character.

It is vitale for me to have all these european special characters, which I
somehow has lost. Alt-f should give me a letter that looks like a and e are
glued to each other, and alt-x should be a o with a slash through it (like old
fasioned computerised 0).  

The web interface destroys these special characters.
Comment 4 Mike A. Harris 2002-08-07 22:11:17 EDT
This is either an installer/configuration bug, or it is a bug in
X's keyboard mapping tables.  If it is the latter, which I strongly
expect it is, it is likely an XFree86 specific bug rather than a
Red Hat Linux bug.

I've no experience with troubleshooting debugging this sort of i18n
stuff, so it is best left up to the expertise of the XFree86 team
or someone else familiar with this stuff.

Defering until XFree86 4.3.0 in hopes the problem is solved there.
Please report the problem to xfree86@XFree86.org and xpert@xfree86.org
also.
Comment 5 Mike A. Harris 2005-04-20 08:45:36 EDT
Since this bugzilla report was filed, there have been several major
updates to the X Window System, which may resolve this issue.  Users
who have experienced this problem are encouraged to upgrade to the
latest version of Fedora Core, which can be obtained from:

        http://fedora.redhat.com/download

If this issue turns out to still be reproduceable in the latest
version of Fedora Core, please file a bug report in the X.Org
bugzilla located at http://bugs.freedesktop.org in the "xorg"
component.

Once you've filed your bug report to X.Org, if you paste the new
bug URL here, Red Hat will continue to track the issue in the
centralized X.Org bug tracker, and will review any bug fixes that
become available for consideration in future updates.

Setting status to "CURRENTRELEASE".

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.