Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 665104
OpenJDK Firefox Java plugin loses a cookie
Last modified: 2011-04-05 17:40:51 EDT
Description of problem:
The openjdk firefox plugin appears to lose a cookie when making a http request. This has serious consequences for any web pages with cookie-using applets, frequently resulting in denied requests or broken applets.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Majority of testing was against java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin-220.127.116.11-18.104.22.168.fc13.x86_64 but this has been confirmed on current Fedora 14 rpms too.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Load Firefox with the openjdk plugin. Set some cookies
- e.g. visit http://rsg.pml.ac.uk/staff/mggr/cookies/cookietest-set.php - this sets 7 cookies named TestCookie[1-7]
2. Confirm they are correctly set
- e.g. visit http://rsg.pml.ac.uk/staff/mggr/cookies/cookietest-read.php or look at the cookie store in Firefox
3. Run a java applet that makes an HTTP request (including cookies) and note one cookie is missing
- e.g. visit http://rsg.pml.ac.uk/staff/mggr/cookies/test.html which retrieves and displays the output from the cookietest-read.php link above. Source of this applet is at http://rsg.pml.ac.uk/staff/mggr/cookies/HelloWorld.java (yeah, I'm not good at Java)
Java plugin output shows the webserver saw TestCookie[2-7] (TestCookie1 is missing)
Java plugin output shows the webserver saw TestCookie[1-7]
Attached copies of the relevant testing scripts. You'll need to build the java class (javac HelloWorld.java).
Using the Sun Java plugin, everything works correctly (all 7 cookies are reported). This can be tested by: "sudo rpm -e java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin
; cd ~/.mozilla/plugins ; ln -s SUN_JRE_LOCATION/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so"
I looked at reporting this upstream, but had some difficulty finding the appropriate location, then some more difficulty building a test environment to confirm this isn't just a Fedora issue. Please advise whether (and where) I should try upstream or if Fedora can handle this.
Created attachment 470278 [details]
PHP script to display cookies set in the request made to it.
Created attachment 470279 [details]
PHP script to set 7 cookies.
Created attachment 470280 [details]
Java applet source ; makes a (hardcoded) request to the PHP script that displays cookies set, then redisplays that locally.
Created attachment 470281 [details]
HTML page to start Java applet.
Upstream is http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla
Thanks for the reproducer! I have replicated and fixed the issue. It will be committed upstream after review:
icedtea-web-1.0.2-2.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
icedtea-web-1.0.2-2.fc15 has been pushed to the Fedora 15 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.