Bug 6755 - installer puts LILO in MBR even though I told it not to!
installer puts LILO in MBR even though I told it not to!
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: installer (Show other bugs)
6.1
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jay Turner
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 1999-11-05 08:34 EST by Jonathan Kamens
Modified: 2015-01-07 18:39 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 1999-11-05 12:26:37 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Jonathan Kamens 1999-11-05 08:34:54 EST
I was installing RedHat 6.1 onto a PC with an existing NT
4.0 installation.  I read the instructons for where to
install LILO, and I *thought* I followed them and told it to
install lilo at the beginning of the boot partition instead
of in my MBR.

Nevertheless, when I rebooted after the installation, up
came Linux instead of NT.

At this point, I tried to restore my MBR using the NT setup
"rescue" tools, and that didn't work.  I then tried to
restore the MBR by doing various different upgrades and
reinstallations of NT, and that didn't work either.  In the
process, I screwed up my NT installation somehow and had to
reinstall it from scratch (a time-consuming and frustrating
experience).  Somewhere in the middle of all this I
consulted the support.microsoft.com and discovered that what
I *should* have done right at the start was logged into
Linux and run "lilo -u /dev/hda" to put the MBR back to its
previous state.  Doh!

When all the NT garbage was done and I had a working NT MBR
again, I reinstalled Linux.  This time, it put LILO in the
right place, which makes me suspect that it's possible that
I didn't specify the correct location the first time even
though I thought I did.  But I still think there are at
least two, and possibly three bugs here:

1) Is it possible that the installer *sometimes* puts lilo
in the MBR even when told to put it at the beginning of the
boot partition?  If so, that's obviously a bug.

2) The installer has a good idea that NT is installed on the
machine, since it knows there's an ntfs/hpfs partition.  In
that context, if the user asks to install LILO in the MBR,
the installer should display a really obvious warning that
by doing this, the user could screw up his NT installation.
When software can prevent the user from doing stupid things,
it should :-).

3) The documentation should explain very prominently how to
recover from the mistake I made, i.e., right after the
section explaining what to specify on the LILO installation
screen, it should explain that "lilo -u" can be used to
restore the MBR if it is screwed up accidentally.
Comment 1 Jay Turner 1999-11-05 12:26:59 EST
I will keep an eye on lilo and make sure that things are working
right, but in all of my testing, I have yet to see lilo go somewhere
that I did not tell it to.

As for second guessing the user, this is really not an option.  Lilo
is capable of booting an NT installation and therefore installing lilo
in the MBR of a machine which is going to dual-boot NT and linux is
not a totally bad thing . . . it just means that you will be using
lilo to boot the NT boot loader which will then boot NT.

I will pass the suggestion about insrtuctions for removing lilo on to
the documentations staff.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.