Bug 678779 - [abrt] debuginfo files may saturate /var/run and lock up the system
Summary: [abrt] debuginfo files may saturate /var/run and lock up the system
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: abrt
Version: 15
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jiri Moskovcak
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2011-02-19 15:02 UTC by Joachim Frieben
Modified: 2015-02-01 22:53 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

Fixed In Version: abrt-2.0.1-2.fc15
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2011-04-26 16:20:51 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Joachim Frieben 2011-02-19 15:02:24 UTC
Description of problem:
When attempting to report a crash of the current build of "rhythmbox" by means of abrt, debugging information is retrieved in order to create a useful backtrace. One of the concerned packages is webkitgtk3-debuginfo-1.3.11-3.fc15.x86_64.rpm which in the current case is downloaded to /var/run/abrt/tmp-2515-1298125790/.
After the debuginfo package has been downloaded, 20% of /var/run are used. Before having unpacked it completely, 100% of /var/run are used. At this point, the system locks hard, requiring a hard reset.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
abrt-1.1.17-1.fc15.1.x86_64

How reproducible:
Always.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Crash rhythmbox by clicking selecting menu item "Import file...".
2. Report bug via abrt.
  
Actual results:
Retrieving and extracting debugging info for package webkitgtk fails because the 1024 MB tmpfs of /var/run is too small to cope with it.

Expected results:
Debugging info for package webkitgtk is retrieved and unpacked successfully.

Additional info:
According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/var-run-tmpfs "/var/run and /var/lock contain small runtime files", please note the word "SMALL".
For the current F15 tree, /var/run is mounted as tmpfs with a size of 1024 MB (on my system) which seems to be an ample amount. System memory is 2048 MB.
However, downloading the debug info of webkitgtk grabs 20% of /var/run, and the extracted debuginfo exceeds the remaining 80% which led to locking up my system in one case. At a second attempt, abrt gracefully aborted this operation because of unsufficient file system space without locking up the system.

Comment 1 Jiri Moskovcak 2011-03-24 12:24:12 UTC
This should be fixed in current git. The new abrt-debuginfon install script uses /tmp/ for extracting the debuginfo and /var/cache to store it.

Comment 2 Fedora Update System 2011-03-27 17:37:47 UTC
abrt-2.0.0-1.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.0-1.fc15

Comment 3 Fedora Update System 2011-03-29 20:03:23 UTC
abrt-2.0.0-2.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.0-2.fc15

Comment 4 Fedora Update System 2011-03-30 02:33:39 UTC
Package abrt-2.0.0-2.fc15:
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 15 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing abrt-2.0.0-2.fc15'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.0-2.fc15
then log in and leave karma (feedback).

Comment 5 Fedora Update System 2011-03-30 16:49:59 UTC
abrt-2.0.0-3.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.0-3.fc15

Comment 6 Fedora Update System 2011-04-04 14:09:50 UTC
abrt-2.0.0-4.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.0-4.fc15

Comment 7 Fedora Update System 2011-04-15 15:11:07 UTC
abrt-2.0.0-5.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.0-5.fc15

Comment 8 Fedora Update System 2011-04-20 13:31:42 UTC
abrt-2.0.1-1.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.1-1.fc15

Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2011-04-21 16:46:04 UTC
abrt-2.0.1-2.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/abrt-2.0.1-2.fc15

Comment 10 Fedora Update System 2011-04-26 16:13:25 UTC
abrt-2.0.1-2.fc15 has been pushed to the Fedora 15 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.