Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 68993
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:44:13 EDT
Description of Problem:
The evolution-addressbook crashes very often if I generate a lot of new contacts
and open already existing contacts
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
1.0.3, 1.0.7, 1.0.8-3 (it doesn't depend on the version)
unfortunately the error occurs 'undeterministic'
just type in new contacts and open existing contacts
after a few 'cycles' the evolution-addressbook will crash
I can't seem to reproduce this -- when it crashes, does bug buddy pop up and
allow you to get a stack trace?
No,I only receive the message, that the component evolution-adressbook has
crashed and that it has to be restarted...
In the current version of the beta I use (re0728) with evolution-1.0.8-4 the
error can't be reproduced any more - how do we proceed? Shall we close the bug
then - or shall I still 'have an eye' on the application due to the
this may or may not be the same bug, but I am able to reproduce it 100%, so you
might be interested (although it applies to RH 7.3 - evolution 1.0.3-6).
(Sorry, I'm typing it from memory, so some of the texts may be a bit different.)
* create a new account (or otherwise "clean state"), with locale cs_CZ (maybe
* Start Evolution (In the wizard I have used "none" incoming mail server,
sendmail as outgoing mail, but this is probably not relevant)
* File/Import, Single file, std.vcf (from KMail, I'll send it by mail), type
VCard (BTW, why doesn't autodetection work?), import to Contacts
* Wonder why it bothers you with "importer not ready, waiting 5 seconds"
* Open Contacts. You'll see strange characters there (the std.vcf file is in
UTF-8, I don't know what Evolution expects). The very first address book entry
is labeled "AdAimek, Filip" (3rd and 4th characters are a bit different)
* Double-click on it, click on Full name
* Instead of "AdAImek", you'll see "Ad__mek" (don't forget to wonder again);
delete the underscores to have "Admek", click OK
* in the "File As", select "Admek, Filip"
* click "Save and continue" in the toolbar
* double-click on the next address book entry (the one below the "Admek, Filip" one)
* See the dialog that evolution-addressbook crashed, and wonder where the core
file has disappeared, even with ulimit -c unlimited
Confirmed crash on null, evolution-addressbook crashed for me. No stack trace
Have you tried this with evolution 1.2.x in rawhide/phoebe?
OK, here is a stack trace.
Clean install of Phoebe 8.0.93, cs_CZ.UTF-8, gtkhtml-1.1.8-3, evolution-1.2.2-1
Occured when clicking on the down arrow of the date widget for "birthday"
when adding a new contact.
I've experienced a crash in other place, but was not able to reproduce it
and get the backtrace.
Created attachment 90097 [details]
Typescript of a gdb session
Created attachment 90946 [details]
in my last comment you've found a backtrace of the last crash of evo. I'm using
now version 1.2.2-5 with RHL 9 and I'm still experiencing the same problem
I've yet to reproduce this and can't reproduce on trying with 1.4.x. Assuming
its fixed there, reopen if not.