I need to report that I have been unable to get my system
sounds enabled... in other words, when I go to KDE Control
Panel and click on the sounds tab, I click on enable sounds
and then assign sounds to certain system events such as
minimizing/maximizing windows, startup/shutdown of Linux,
etc... Now I know that I can hear *.wav files because I
have browsed to the directory where the *.wav's are kept and
listened to them. For some reason, they do not work when I
enable them. Please get back with me when you find out what
I or you need to do about this.
Please give me some more details:
- Which soundcard are you using?
- Does any KDE application produce sound? i.e. can you play the sounds
from the control panel using the Test button?
- is kaudioserver running? (ps ax |grep kaudioserver)
- is esd running? (ps ax |grep esd)
- What does your /etc/sysconfig/sound file say?
Link /etc/sysconfig/soundcard to /etc/sysconfig/sound or get the current