Created attachment 489900 [details]
Patch to add Xen support to OProfile
Description of problem:
The Fedora 14 OProfile package does not provide full support for Xen.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Run "opcontrol --help"
Does not list "--passive-domains" option
OProfile supports passive Xen domain profiling.
The oprofile patch for xen was turned off when fedora rebased to oprofile-0.9.5 because the patches did not apply cleanly:
The website, http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/#download, has a newer oprofile-0.9.5-xen.patch and it apply more cleanly to the oprofile-0.9.3-xen.patch.
I put a scratch build through for F14 to try and see if provides the desired xeoprof support.
Could you give one of the RPMs there a try test to see whether it works?
The short answer is that the package proposed in comment #1 works -- I was able to use it to passively profile a DomU domain.
The long answer is that modifications to the Fedora Linux kernel are also necessary, beyond using Michael Young's 2.6.32.X-series kernel . In addition to Michael's changes (adding Dom0 support), I had to apply Anil Madhavapeddy's "passive profiling on PV Ops kernel" patch  *.
Once I built and booted the new kernel, I was able to passively profile an experimental DomU kernel by following these steps:
1. opcontrol --reset
2. opcontrol --start-daemon --xen=/boot/xen-syms-4.1.0-rc8 --vmlinux=/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/184.108.40.206-175.xendom0.fc14.x86_64/vmlinux --passive-domains=1 --passive-images=/path/to/exp-kernel.elf
3. opcontrol --start
4. Run experiment
5. opcontrol --stop
6. opcontrol --shutdown
* To build the kernel, I:
1. Based my work on Michael Young's 220.127.116.11-175.xendom0.fc14.x86_64.
2. Modified config-generic to contain CONFIG_IGBVF=n, because this module failed to compile with GCC 4.6.
3. Added "%define with_perf 0" and "with_perftool 0" because perf would not compile with GCC 4.6.
4. Ran "depmod" and "dracut /boot/initramfs-VER.img VER" by hand.
oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc13 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 13.
oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc14 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 14.
oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc15 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 15.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 14 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc14'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc14 has been pushed to the Fedora 14 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
oprofile-0.9.6-20.fc15 has been pushed to the Fedora 15 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.