2. What is the nature and description of the request?
Customer has requested to add code in network init script to load static arp
entries from ethers.
3. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
There are times when you want to load static arp entries early in startup of
the system. Doing this in the network script is preferable to make sure other
network services can access network resources. It appears there is no other
standard way to automatically load these entries currently.
4. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional
Customer has created and attached a patch to the initscripts package that adds
a few lines to the network script to load static arp entries from the ethers
file. This is very similar to the way static routes are loaded in the network
script. Customer would like the patch reviewed for possible inclusion in RHEL.
5. For each functional requirement listed in question 4, specify how Red Hat
and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully
Internal testing, provide Red Hat test packages to the customer.
6. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat bugzilla?
7. How quickly does this need resolved? (desired target release)
RHEL 6.2 is the desired release.
8. Does this request meet the RHEL Inclusion criteria (please review)
9. List the affected packages
Technical note added. If any revisions are required, please edit the "Technical Notes" field
accordingly. All revisions will be proofread by the Engineering Content Services team.
There are times when it's needed to load static arp entries early in
startup of the system.
Startup network scripts were changed to set up arp entries from
Arp entries defined in /etc/ether file are set ater network started.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.