Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 69782
gftp problems with lang and fonts
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:44:29 EDT
Description of problem:
Two screenshots to illustrate the problem:
The LANG is "sv_SE.UTF-8" as configured by Anaconda for Swedish. Somehow the
translated menus get mixed up with the English menus, resulting in some menu
lables showing up twice (translated and untranslated) and some menu lables not
showing up at all. This also leads to buggy menu entries, as seen in the
I _have_ installed XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-52.i386.rpm and XFree86-100dpi-
fonts-4.2.0-52.i386.rpm, which weren't installed by default in Limbo.
I tried with gftp-2.0.13-1.i386.rpm from Rawhide as well; no difference.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Limbo (and X fonts)
2. Use Swedish LANG
3. Run gftp
It would probably be helpful to try the next beta that comes out. Or Owen may
know specific packages you could try upgrading.
"I tried with gftp-2.0.13-1.i386.rpm from Rawhide as well" - as well
as what? gftp .po files were broken for Swedish (and various other
locales) before 2.0.12-1; I put in some fixes in 2.0.12-1
(I didn't actually test the Swedish fix, but it should have been
I'd like to know whether this is a regression in 2.0.13-1, or
a continuing bug.
In some checking, it's a 2.0.13-1 specific screwage. LOoks like
somehow the author managed to merge my fixes from 2.0.12-1 but
not regenerate the .gmo files. I think adding a rm po/*.gmo to
the spec file should fix.
OK, fixed in 2.0.13-2, suggestion sent to the gftp author that
he upgrade his gettext.
> "I tried with gftp-2.0.13-1.i386.rpm from Rawhide as well" - as well
> as what?
As well as the version included with Limbo.
> OK, fixed in 2.0.13-2, suggestion sent to the gftp author that
> he upgrade his gettext.
Ok, I'll try 2.0.13-2 when it hits rawhide.
Not entirely fixed I'm afraid. Now the "empty menus" are gone, but I still get
every menu twice, once in English and once in Swedish. Some options are
available in both menus, but some options appear only in one of them.
This is with gftp-2.0.13-2, running in Limbo 2.
I don't even begin to understand how the menus could get duplicated...
So it gets weirder - only Swedish is broken. German, French, Spanish are all fine.
Japanese also broken.
Turned out that the way gftp did translations, things broke really
badly if you had a partial translation (as for Swedish). I've
put a patch into 2.1.13-5 that reworks the menu handling a bit
and sent it to the gftp author... it seems to make the
Swedish menus show up properly. (They aren't fully translated,
but that's just a deficiency of the translation.)
Thank you very much, Owen.