Bug 69794 - OpenLDAP 2.1 not as stable as 2.0
OpenLDAP 2.1 not as stable as 2.0
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: openldap (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nalin Dahyabhai
Jay Turner
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2002-07-25 10:40 EDT by Dana Canfield
Modified: 2015-01-07 18:57 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2003-03-26 16:06:51 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Dana Canfield 2002-07-25 10:40:56 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020712

Description of problem:
Sorry that this may not be an extremely helpful report, but... I migrated my
schema and configs from the OpenLDAP 2.0.23 to the OpenLDAP 2.1.2/2.1.3 in
Limbo/Rawhide and although performance increased significantly, it became rather
unstable under load.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Clear LDAP database
2. Start an import 6000 LDAP entries (via PHP)
3. Wait

Actual Results:  Somewhere around 5000 entries, LDAP will fail with either an
unknown error or a "Critical Component Unavailable" error.

Expected Results:  Nothing... it should just keep chugging like 2.0.23 does.

Additional info:

The data set being imported is identical to the set being imported into
2.0.23... the only difference is the version, and therefore the bdb backend.  My
suggestion to RedHat is to write a script that will similarly make thousands of
reads/writes to LDAP and see if it is reproducable in your environment.

I did not try 2.1 with any of the other backends.  I suspect they may be more
reliable, though.  I also noticed that upon restart of the server after the
crash, it took about 30 seconds before the server would respond to queries. 
Again, this makes me think that something is amiss with the backend... like it's
reindexing upon restart.  These are all guesses, though.

I'll be happy to help out with testing... It took until 7.3 for the 2.0 builds
in the Redhat 7 series to become stable (at least for us on about 6 different
boxes we ran at various times), so I'd hate to see a step backwards in
reliability by upgrading to 2.1 prematurely.
Comment 1 Nalin Dahyabhai 2003-03-26 16:06:51 EST
We'll look at 2.1 for a future release.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.