Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 703472
UTF Character Number errors in DocBook transformations
Last modified: 2017-03-27 03:11:40 EDT
Created attachment 498000 [details]
XML which reproduces the error.
Description of problem:
When converting files from DocBook 4.5 XML to PDF, I get a large number of "is not a character number in the document character set" errors from jade. The same XML transforms fine using publican.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. run docbook2pdf on the attached xml
jade:<URL>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/ent/isogrk4.ent:42:30:E: "1D6C2" is not a character number in the document character set
jade:<URL>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/ent/isogrk4.ent:43:30:E: "1D6C3" is not a character number in the document character set
jade:<URL>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/ent/isogrk4.ent:44:30:E: "1D6D8" is not a character number in the document character set
See also http://bugs.gentoo.org/238785.
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for
inclusion in the current release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Because the affected component is not scheduled to be updated
in the current release, Red Hat is unfortunately unable to
address this request at this time. Red Hat invites you to
ask your support representative to propose this request, if
appropriate and relevant, in the next release of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux. If you would like it considered as an
exception in the current release, please ask your support
I don't think you should not use sgml toolchain here for that. See manpage of docbook2pdf- "For the moment, jw does not handle XML, but only SGML."
Upstream of these tools is dead.
You probably want to use xml dtds toolchain (which you use in your docbook document) and you want to you use CLI tool should either use xmlto or some of it's backends(fop/dblatex/xmltex).
Anyway - there is a typo in /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.5-1.0-51.el6/catalog - 4.4 instead of 4.5 - causing this mass error report about missing entities. Reassigning there, but consider using xml docbook toolchain.
I just tried "xmlto pdf" and it does work - thanks for the suggestion.
Given the fact it missed many RHEL 6 releases and I fixed the issue in Fedora/RHEL 7 already, closing this one WONTFIX. RHEL 6 is now in production phase 3 and original issue was workarounded by using different tool for generating pdf file...