Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 714277
Consider redesigning Administration-->Templates UI
Last modified: 2012-02-07 14:27:14 EST
Description of problem: Consider redesigning Administration-->Templates UI. There are 2 sets of issues:
1) from a usability perspective, it is unique ui pattern to have buttons and functionality only apparent on mouse-over (this is for the alert templates and metric templates). it can confuse an end-user by hiding functionality.
2) from a testability perspective, it is difficult to automate this. i could not in selenium or in sahi. workaround is to use _navigateTo() to go to the URL that clicking that button would take you to, but dgao points out that this is not satisfactory as it does not test the button.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
2. mouse-over the lines in the listview to display buttons
There has been some restructuring of the template page in order to
accommodate the new drift definition templating. Instead of trying to
jam another kind of template into the single page it has been broken up
into dedicated pages for each type of template. As part of the
restructuring I removed the rollover approach in favor of static edit
icons (which, by the way, is an approach that's working its way into
the gui, Drift Definitions view also makes use of a statically placed
edit icon for each row.
The new pages should be less congested, more transparent, and be more
easily tested with automation.
master commit b1c646d841e75fb1294010783196ed0ffabe690a
note - drift template work is still in progress, alert def and metric
pages should be working as expected.
i have added a regression test of alert templates and metric collection templates to qe sprint #8. http://pad.engineering.redhat.com/jon-QE-sprint8
This does not work for me as soon as the entry has sub-entries or is within a folder
E.g. none of JBossAS5 nor its sub-resource types can be edited.
Top level entries like e.g. hosts work.
- fix problem with inactive edit icons
- also, disable edit for drift if drift is not enabled for the type
- also, disable edit for metrics if no metrics defined for the type
sprint #8 task for sunil
from Sunil's daily status report:
Testing Administration->Metric Collection Templates
Added 10 test cases to TCMS on Alerts definition templates:
from Sunil's daily status report ...
Tested Administration->Metric Collection Templates. Created and executed
below test run in TCMS.
Verified below templates:
Administration->Metric Collection Templates
Administration->Alerts definition templates
Administration->Drift Definition Templates
Marking as verified.
changing status of VERIFIED BZs for JON 2.4.2 and JON 3.0 to CLOSED/CURRENTRELEASE