Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 71750
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:45:36 EDT
Description of Problem:
- /etc/sysconfig/i18n contains CHARSET="8859-15" which doesn't exactly
match any file in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/
- Why "CHARSET" and not "CHARMAP" ?
- No description of "locale charmap" in locale(1) manpage.
- Why not return charmap name in main result from "locale"? Also in setlocale()
- No simple C function (that I could find) to tell a program what the
user's charmap is currently set to.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
anaconda-7.3.94-1 (or whatever creates /etc/sysconfig/i18n)
Steps to Reproduce:
Looking for C function that returns user's current charmap selection in a form
that I can feed directly to iconv_open().
Miloslav Trmac was kind enough to point me to: nl_langinfo(CODESET)
Sure, "charmap", "charset", "codeset" what does it matter, hic!
Do you think that perhaps the setlocale(3) and iconv(3) manpages could
at least include cross-references to this?
It certainly shouldn't be in locale(1) man page, it has nothing to do with
It is mentioned quite prominently in info libc in Locales section, but I agree
it could be cross-referenced in setlocale(3) man page.
Fixed in 1.53-1