Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 71913
man displays escape codes as ESC[xxx
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:45:40 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.5 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20020809
Description of problem:
Rather than interpreting the escape codes in man pages, the escape codes are shown.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. enter "man tempnam" in a gnome-terminal or xterm
Actual Results: Escape codes are displayed, making the man page nearly unreadable.
Hm, this works for me ok in gnome-terminal. What locale are you running in? Is
this ssh'd into the beta box, or ssh from the beta box to a different system?
This is a clean install of (null), with a pre-existing user. Before logging in
to X for the first time, I'd eliminated pretty much all config files except for
Galeon's, including .gnome* and .gconf/*
I've also noticed the same problem on my (null) install. Just installed it this
morning and tried to do a 'man grep' in both a gnome-terminal and xterm. Both
displayed the ESC codes. This is my workstation that I'm physically sitting in
This _may_ have something to do with broader problems described in #71913
This is a "Me to". I saw it after upgrading from 7.3. I saw it in Limbo2 and
Null for sure... Don't think I looked at a man page in Limbo1.
I tried viewing man pages in gnome-terminal, xterm, uxterm, and konsole and they
all have the same problem that esc sequences are displayed as text instead of
changing to BOLD and other stuff.
Viewing man pages from the linux console works as expected.
I tried messing with the TERM variable with no success (linux, vt100, etc)... I
even tried using the LANG variable to see if that made a difference (it didn't).
I upgraded to version 0.8.19-1 of vte since there was discussion of bugs in
that (but I don't think xterm uses that library) and the problem is still there.
My /etc/sysconfig/i18n is LANG="en_US".
I ran out of things to try. Man is version 1.5j9.
Example first few lines of "man rpm".
RPM(8) Red Hat Linux RPM(8)
rpm - RPM Package Manager
this seems to work in 8.0