lpd printing between two Redhat 6.1 boxes with lpr-0.46-1 works only
for root user.
No ordinary user can print from the client.
Printing from root account on client works perfectly.
Printing from user account on server also works perfectly.
The symptom is that the print job is accepted with no error messages
on the server, but no data is sent to printer.
Logging with lpd -l shows job being accepted on server.
Using strace shows the data file being accepted, spooled and then
unlinked, with no data sent to /dev/lp0.
We use NIS passwords.
Working on it... In the meantime, please check if the 0.47 package from rawhide
No, 0.47-1 doesn't work either.
client + server RH61/lpr0.48, all packages updated, /etc/conf.modules modified.
- When printing from the client: "warning: no daemon present" (user AND root)
- lpq -P HP-laser says the file is in the queue, but no daemon present.
- "ps -aux | grep lpd" (on server) says that the daemon is running.
- "telnet server 515" says: lpd: HP-laser: Malformed from address.
- When printing directly from server (where the printers are physically
connected to) everything works perfectly. When this local job is finished, the
client's job that was still in the queue follows and is printed as well.
additional information (may be important):
RH61 + lpr-0.48:
I have 3 printerports on the server.
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd restart" doesn't work, I have to enter
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop" followed by "/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start", which
normally should be the same thing imho.
I recompiled the RH52 lpr-0.33.src.rpm and that one seems to work fine on RH61.
0.50-2 should fix this