Bug 72697 - georgian unicode fonts not working with qt-3.0.5 (xft2 version)
georgian unicode fonts not working with qt-3.0.5 (xft2 version)
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Raw Hide
Classification: Retired
Component: qt (Show other bugs)
1.0
athlon Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Ngo Than
Ben Levenson
http://www.geocities.com/necropole_of...
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-08-26 14:34 EDT by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:46 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-06-29 14:38:47 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2002-08-26 14:34:31 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020819

Description of problem:
The version of qt3 which is built upon fontconfig/Xft2 doesn't display Georgian
font characters, it draws some boxes instead. The problem is not reproducible
with qt compiled with Xft1. There are apps that do not show Georgian characters
at all (qtconfig, kate) and apps that "sometimes" show them (kedit). I tried
typing "kedit &" at the same eterm two times and the result I got was that one
kedit showed the letters and the other didn't. I didn't manage to force kate to
show them.
This is not a font problem cause everything works well with qt for Xft1 and gtk2
and I have no other font with that name in my fontpath.
It's not a locale problem either as my locale is utf8 and all the other
languages within the same document are displayed correctly.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Get sylfaen font from any winxp machine or download arial, times and courier
from http://www.main.osgf.ge/Douwn/timesarialcour.zip .
2. get some utf-8 document wih Georgian characters (the one that comes with
pango will do).
3. open that document in kate and set the proper font. Now look at the place
where georgian characters should appear.
	

Actual Results:  No characters, just squares...

Additional info:

qt-3.0.5-13 (older 3.0.5s too), fontconfig-0.0.1.020811.1151-9 (from the june's
version), Xft-1.9.1.020811.1151-3, kdelibs-3.0.3-2 (3.0.2 too), gcc-3.2-1,
freetype-2.1.2-5, glibc-2.2.90-21

my locale settings are:
LANG=en_US.utf8
everything else: en_US.utf8
LC_ALL= (empty)
I tried setting them to different values (en_US.UTF-8...) without any success...
Comment 1 Ngo Than 2002-11-08 12:21:17 EST
i hope it will be fixed in qt 3.1
Comment 2 Need Real Name 2002-12-06 11:07:43 EST
I upgraded to RH8.0 and the problem remained. Then I upgraded my fontconfig, XFree86 and qt to versions 
fontconfig-2.1-1, XFree86-4.2.99.2-0.20021122.2 and qt-3.1.0-1.2, the problem remains unsolved (still boxes instead of letters).
Comment 3 Ngo Than 2004-06-29 14:38:47 EDT
it's fixed in current release

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.