Bug 73058 - "Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse", Manufacturer: Unknown
"Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse", Manufacturer: Unknown
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: hwdata (Show other bugs)
8.0
i686 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Bill Nottingham
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-08-30 05:30 EDT by Barry K. Nathan
Modified: 2014-03-16 22:30 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-10-12 14:25:30 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Output of lsusb (3.53 KB, text/plain)
2002-08-30 05:31 EDT, Barry K. Nathan
no flags Details
snapshot of hwbrowser comedy... (48.59 KB, image/png)
2002-08-30 05:37 EDT, Barry K. Nathan
no flags Details
I just noticed something odd with the copy-and-paste so I'm attaching it too (801 bytes, text/plain)
2002-08-31 02:07 EDT, Barry K. Nathan
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Barry K. Nathan 2002-08-30 05:30:50 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020826

Description of problem:
Both mouseconfig (when invoked at boot time by kudzu) and hwbrowser see my
IntelliMouse as a "Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse". kudzu also claims, when I
choose to configure it, that it's "Configuring Microsoft Microsoft". hwbrowser
also claims "Manufacturer: Unknown". There could be more than one bug here; if I
should re-file any of these as separate bugs, let me know. Also, I don't know if
hwdata is the guilty component, but I couldn't think of anything better.

Version-Release number of a bunch of components that might be relevant for all I
know:
kernel-2.4.18-12.5
hwdata-0.44-1
hwbrowser-0.5-1
mouseconfig-4.25-5
kudzu-0.99.66-1

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Attach MS IntelliMouse to a machine which has previously only seen PS/2 mice.
2. Boot machine.
3. Hit all the defaults in the kudzu prompts. During this step you'll get to see
"Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse" and "Configuring Microsoft Microsoft".
4. Wait for machine to finish boot (to GDM).
5. Log in.
6. Start hwbrowser (either from a terminal or through the menus).
7. Click on Pointing Devices.
8. Laugh?

Actual Results:  See above.

Expected Results:  "Microsoft IntelliMouse"
"Configuring Microsoft IntelliMouse" or "Configuring IntelliMouse"
"Manufacturer: Microsoft" (or the equivalent), not unknown

Additional info:

I'd set the Severity to low, except I don't want to see "Configuring Microsoft
Microsoft" joining the ranks of "PC Load Letter", "Keyboard Not Present, Press
<F1> to continue", and similar messages.
Comment 1 Barry K. Nathan 2002-08-30 05:31:55 EDT
Created attachment 73926 [details]
Output of lsusb
Comment 2 Barry K. Nathan 2002-08-30 05:32:35 EDT
Output to stderr when I ran lsusb:

string descriptor 1 invalid (bf bf; len=0)
cannot get string descriptor 2, error = Connection timed out(110)
Comment 3 Barry K. Nathan 2002-08-30 05:37:20 EDT
Created attachment 73927 [details]
snapshot of hwbrowser comedy...
Comment 4 Bill Nottingham 2002-08-30 20:01:46 EDT
Can you post your /proc/bus/usb/devices?
Comment 5 Barry K. Nathan 2002-08-31 02:05:36 EDT
Ok, here it is.

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc= 93/900 us (10%), #Int=  1, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S:  Product=USB UHCI Root Hub
S:  SerialNumber=1060
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=045e ProdID=0039 Rev= 1.21
S:  Manufacturer=Microsoft
S:  Product=Microsoft IntelliMouse? Optical
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=hid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   4 Ivl=10ms
Comment 6 Barry K. Nathan 2002-08-31 02:07:44 EDT
Created attachment 74184 [details]
I just noticed something odd with the copy-and-paste so I'm attaching it too
Comment 7 Barry K. Nathan 2003-10-12 14:25:30 EDT
This seems to be fixed in Fedora Cora 0.94. (It could have been fixed in Red Hat
9 for all I know, but I never got a chance to test for this bug under that release.)

I'm not sure what resolution would be best for this bug; I guess I'll just go
with RAWHIDE. (If it wasn't fixed in rawhide this time around, maybe it was
fixed in rawhide during the RHL 9 development cycle. ;)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.