Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 734069
CPU and Memory utilization is wrongly shown under platform utilization
Last modified: 2011-08-31 08:11:42 EDT
Created attachment 520355 [details]
wrong cpu and memory display in platform utilization
Description of problem:
CPU and Memory utilization is wrongly under platform utilization. This does not match with top command on the system.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Build Number: a98c893
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Ensure that the Agent is started and has been inventoried.
2. Click on Reports tab.
3. Click on PlatformUtilization
Cross checked with top command on the system where agent is running. CPU is under the actual value and Memory is very high (always in 90s) compared to top.
The values should match the top command.
Jay is going to do a check to make sure the ui elements are displaying the correct values from the agent
back on March 2, 2011, I found this that I posted in #rhq chat room
(03:55:03 PM) mazz: interesting.. I think RHQ brought to light a bug in my
fedora system monitor gui tool RHQ says I'm using 80% memory. but this fedora
tool says I'm using half that. however, if I go to "top", "top" agrees with RHQ
I was using the Fedora "System Monitor" utility and it was not showing me the
same values as RHQ but RHQ was consistent with the "top" utility.
So, at least a few months ago, this was working.
We need more info - what platform are you on? Fedora? RHEL? What version? Also,
are you using any utility (like System Monitor) or are you really using "top"?
On my windows system the numbers seem correct. I don't think there is a
problem with the calculations in the report. Or the data gathering for
Asking the reporter to re-verify. If there is a problem still with their
numbers we need to know explicitly the OS, the reporting tool, etc. And
whether they believe the metrics being reported are incorrect, by
examining their metric graphs etc.
I'm running JoN agent on,
# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 (Tikanga)
# uname -r
I'm hitting http://pastebin.test.redhat.com/59767 time and again.
Let me do a clean re-install again and update the bug.
Ok, so I tested with latest build on a clean install on Fedora 14. Checked the monitoring tab and cross checked with Platform Utilization along with top and free -m commands. Now, everything seem correct values. I shall test this again on RHEL after fixing the http://pastebin.test.redhat.com/59767 . For now, I'm marking this bug closed.