Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 73520
(Rage 128) X hangs when resizing acrobat
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:46:22 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.0 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20020408
Description of problem:
Upon resizing certain windows (occasionally xdvi, and most frequently Adobe
Acrobat), the screen completely hangs with the exception that the mouse pointer
can still move. No interaction with the screen is possible, and the keyboard is
unresponsive. Upon ssh'ing remotely into the machine X appears to by taking up
99.5% CPU usage. kill -9 as root succeeds in restarting gdm and keyboard allows
me to log back in locally. Resizing gets as far as the window dimensions
appearing on the screen before it hangs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start X (I use gbm on startup to log in)
2. Run Adobe Acrobat and load a pdf
3. Drag bottom-right corner of window outwards.
Actual Results: Window dimensions appear, and screen promptly hangs as
Expected Results: Window should have resized and allowed continued operation.
I have since had the same problem when resizing gv (ghostview) window, and
immediately upon starting ggv (GNOME version of gv).
Attach X log and config individually using link below.
Created attachment 75544 [details]
XFree log up to point of hang
Created attachment 75545 [details]
XFree86 configuration file
In producing the logfile I found that acrobat does not always make X hang. I
needed to have Galeon running at the same time - I haven't noticed this before
since Galeon is normally always running.
The condition seems to occur for a wide range of applications. I have had the
same problem with the following:
Importing data into Gnumeric
Changing preferences in Galeon
Looking up a word in GDict
Changing desktop properties on Gnome Desktop
The above seem to indicate that the problem is linked to GNOME or Gtk.I do not
recall having any such problems with Redhat 7.2.
Despite efforts to work around this problem, my machine is too unstable at
present. Is there any way in which I can provide information that will bring
about a swifter resolution? Perhaps I can run a debugging utility on X? I'd
appreciate any suggestions.
The same happens with my system too. I had rh7.0 and had the problem relatively
rare (2-3 times a week) and installed rh8 because I thought it will solve the
problem, now I have two restart X 2-3 times a day!
I found that the hang happens when I'm trying to resize, move or scroll a window.
I'll attach my log and config files.
Created attachment 82369 [details]
X config file
Created attachment 82370 [details]
This is the real config file for X (the other was the log of course)
I found that you don't get crashes if you disable the dri module in XF86 config
file (put a # before load "dri"). That's all I can suggest, I'm afraid.
I also disabled dri one week ago and it seems to be stable for me too.
Thanks for the idea.
My apologies for not responding sooner. There are so many XFree86 bug
reports, it's easy to get lost in them sometimes.
It sounds to me like there is a 2D acceleration glitch of some kind going on.
You've stated disabling DRI solves the problem. Can you re-enable DRI, and
use Option "noaccel" in the device section of the X config file instead?
If that also works around the problem, we can further refine it down to
the offending problem.
Another thing that would greatly help me, would be if anyone who encounters
this problem could test out Red Hat Linux 8.0 and see if it also has this
problem. I've also got RPM's of XFree86 4.2.1 on ftp://people.redhat.com
for 8.0 in my testing directory which will be released as erratum in the
near future. If someone could test those, that would be useful. If none
of these solve the problem, for the really really brave, I've got XFree86
CVS RPM's also on people.r.c in the live-grenades directory for testing.
Any feedback that anyone can provide on any/all of the above suggestions
would be very useful. I will be releasing 7.3 erratum soon, so if I can
gather info to fix this problem for you, I'd like to make sure it is fixed.
I reenabled dri, and wrote Option "noaccel" into the r128 driver
section. By the way I'm using Redhat 8.0. One reason for the update was
this bug, but it didn't disappear unfortunately.
I'll attach my xf86config-4 too.
Created attachment 84865 [details]
XF86Config (enabled dri, disabled accel for r128)
Just an update...
I've just upgraded my machine to RH 8.0, and applied all updates. I suffered a
similar crash (using gphoto) as before. I have now downloaded the suggested
ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/8.0/XFree86/4.2.1-10.5/i386/ and will
give these a go. Fingers crossed they do the trick.
Assuming the new X packages did the trick in comment #16 above,
and closing bug as CURRENTRELEASE. If the problem recurs, please
upgrade to Fedora Core 2 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, and update
each to the latest erratum to test if these new OS releases resolve
the issue. If the problem persists, please reopen the report with
updated information, config/log files, etc.