Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 74096
klpq displays scrambled information
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:46:44 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.9) Gecko/20020408
Description of problem:
klpq appears to be misparsing lpq output and the result is that
the program is unusable.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. start klpq with some jobs on the print q
Actual Results: Here is what I have in the jobs panel.
Rank Owner Job Files Size
0 geoff@loca 0 525 A 525 /tmp/.. 0
0 ies 0 0
Expected Results: I should have a formatted list of printjobs.
This is vanilla RH7.3 out of the box with a KDE desktop.
P.S. I've had to use command line lpq/lprm interface because I've
never had a working printer GUI in any
version of RH (6.0,6.1,6.2,7.0,7.1,7.3) that
I've used. This isn't a problem for me cause I very rarely
print anything, but I do voluntary
work for the RSPCA
who are using Linux and they aren't too keen on command lines!
Created attachment 76224 [details]
This is part of the klpq screen
Here is some additional information. klpq works on my friends mandrake
installation, so I checked is lpq. It gives very different output. So I'm guessing
that when I did the KDE Workstation install in RH7.3 (with some additional
packages), that the wrong lpq was installed. i.e., klpq is incompatible
with LPRng's lpq. If kjobviewer worked I'd tell my users to use that, but
it doesn't - it takes about 20 seconds to respond to mouse clicks. My solution
has been to write my own print q manager and bolt it into my application.
For users, control of the printer is critical, for RH7.3 to fail out of the
box on a vanilla install isn't good. You can't expect to replace MS as a desktop
system when such basic systems fail (this is criticism from someone who
refuses to work on Windows systems --- ever).
This bug should be fixed in FC4 current release. please reopen it if it still