Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 74627
[RFE] Support downgrades
Last modified: 2008-02-21 10:30:47 EST
This is the sequence of events that I went through:
1) install 7.2 (minimal + up2date + rhn_register + deps)
2) upgrade up2date + rhn_register (+deps) with latest 7.2 errata
3) rhnreg_ks --serial blahblahblah.............
4) up2date -u -i -f --nosrc --nox
5) save /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid somewhere else
6) Completely wipe machine and install 7.1 (minimal + ....)
7) upgrade up2date + .... w/ latest 7.1 errata
8) copy saved (7.2) systemid file to /etc/systemconfig/rhn/systemid
9) up2date -p --nox
10) up2date -u -i -f --nosrc --nox
This is what happened:
On the up2date in step 10, 7.2 updates were applied. /etc/redhat-release says 7.2.
RHN currently supports upgrades, not downgrades, so this is more of an RFE.
Assigning to gdk for disposition.
Did this feature ever get added?
Reassigning bugs from gdk (old RHN engineering Manager) to tsanders (current
RHN engineering manager)
This feature has remained in the queue this long, because it does not seem feasible.
While I no longer maintain the system where I encountered this problem, I would
like to clarify what the request is. It is /not/ to support the downgrade of an
installed system via up2date, but merely to recognize that a system has been
downgraded by an administrator and fix the base channel subscription.
Short of that, it would have been sufficient to provide a scriptable way for
change the channel subscription from the host. Perhaps that is already there now.