From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530
Description of problem:
Good CD1 (did a verify on it and it passed... and it installs great on other
machines) that crashes after the "running anaconda (the install program)"
message (or whatever the exact wording of it is) with a runtime error. See
"Additional Information" section for details.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.boot install CD
2.Hit enter (default install) or try "linux text", "linux noprobe" and "linux
3.anaconda runs and crashes with runtime error (see Additional Information
section for details)
Actual Results: anaconda runs and crases with runtime error (see Additional
Information section for details)
Expected Results: Install program should progress normally and allow me to install.
I get the following Python runtime error messasage from Python:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 384 in ?
from installclass import DefaultInstall
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/installclass.py", line 27 in ?
from constants import BETANAG
ImportError: cannot import name BETANAG
install exited abnormally
(etc) reboot (etc)
Please note, this is the real RHL 8.0 and not a beta or a leaked release
canidate... the MD5checksums match up to those for RHL 8.0. Oddly enough, I
installed all three betas for 8 (including Null) and never ran into this problem.
FIC motherboard running an AMD Duron with VIA chipset (can get more sprecifics
if requested) and a Voodoo 3 PCI (not AGP) video card. I'm willing to try
various command line options to the installer but I've already tried all common
methods (mentioned in the install screens) and it runtime errors regardless.
Ok, more to the story... to clarify... I DID DO a media check on CD 1 and it
passed. Upon futher examination, an alternate console (either ALT-F3 or ALT-F4,
I don't remember which) showed <3> decompression error (or something like that)
over and over... so for some reason my brand new Philips CDRW2400 services
burner couldn't read the disk. I tried two other disks (both PASSed the media
check) and they did the same thing.
To get the blasted machine installed... I decided to do a network install... by
taking the first CD1 (as well as CD2 and CD3) and created an install server on
another machine in the house. Then I used the same CD1 to boot from and used
the "linux askmethod" boot prompt option and did an NFS install. Since it
didn't read much of the CD, I was able to install.
I guess I really am not looking for resolution to this problem because it
appears beyond the control of the anaconda installer...
BUT it is good to note that just because a CD passes the media check (yes, even
on the target install machine), that doesn't mean that the install machine will
be able to successfully read the CD for an install.